Capacitor on leds
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Capacitor on leds

by zburhop on Thu Dec 07, 2017 2:03 pm

I have a 60 amp power supply powering 30 meters of Neopixel addressable leds. I have a a 50 volt 1000uf capacitor to protect the strips. Can I just screw that capacitor across the power leads on the power supply itself to protect all the strips at once?

Thanks,
Zach
zburhop

Re: Capacitor on leds

by blehrman on Fri Dec 08, 2017 2:41 am

Those 1000uF caps are primarily to make sure there is enough juice for when all the 5050s are cranked up to 255.

You'll need multiple power taps with a 1000uF cap at each tap, for your 30 meters from the 60Amp supply (at least every 5 meters, or more if you'll be running them at full brightness). note that 30 meters is a very, very long run to send 5 volts. You'll need beefy cables (like several 2 AWG or 0 AWG in parallel), or face significant line loss without careful design. I've been using https://videos.cctvcamerapros.com/voltage-drop-calculator to figure out the power cabling for 10 meters of neopixels, ~16 feet from the 22amp power supply.

Good luck!

blehrman

by zburhop on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:15 pm

The adafruit neopixel best practices guide recommended a 1000uf capacitor across the leads to protect from potential spikes in power coming from such a large supply. I have a harness sending power out to the various 5 meter sections of strip. They all originate from the same power tap. What im trying to verify is if the capacitor across the leads of a harness is sufficient to offer the same level of protection.
zburhop

by zburhop on Fri Dec 08, 2017 1:15 pm

The adafruit neopixel best practices guide recommended a 1000uf capacitor across the leads to protect from potential spikes in power coming from such a large supply. I have a harness sending power out to the various 5 meter sections of strip. They all originate from the same power tap. What im trying to verify is if the capacitor across the leads of a harness is sufficient to offer the same level of protection.
zburhop

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.