Neopixel 24 and 4 digit feather board fit
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Neopixel 24 and 4 digit feather board fit

by bretthoward on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:41 am

I'd like to play with making a wind indicator for a sailboat and I was thinking that the user interface that I'd like to have is the 24 pixel ring (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2862) and the feather 7 seg nugget (https://www.adafruit.com/product/3107). From the interior dimension of the neo pixel ring of 2.05" and the width of the 7 seg being 2" that leaves me really questioning if I would be able to get that 7 seg display into the center of the neo pixel ring.

The project would be a very simple interface to an anemometer that would read wind direction and wind speed. Then the unit would illuminate the LED that corresponds to the direction the wind is coming from. The 7 seg would then display the speed of the wind. The unit would be calibrated so that the anemometer could be installed in any orientation but it would then determine the direction that represents forward and thus the wind direction would always be relative to the bow of the ship. I feel like this could all be coded up and tested in a few days.

Then for extra bonus points it would be fun to put a magnetometer into the project so that you could tap a button and have the unit show boat heading and/or true wind direction (minus vessel movement effects).

For even more extraness it would be fun to have a GPS plugged into it and then be able to provide true wind speed by doing the vector math to remove the wind being generated by the movement of the vessel. You'd still certainly want the magnetometer because GPS's are worthless to determine directions unless you're moving. Where as a magnetometer would be able to provide accurate directions with less lag and greater accuracy especially at very low to no speed.

Anyway very interested to hear any other interest in the project. I'm considering using this anemometer (https://www.amazon.com/Davis-Instrument ... 0Y7KGZXT8X). Another consideration would be to install a feather with a radio and a small solar panel to make a wireless version of the whole thing so that you could have a battery and the solar panel mounted at the boats mast head and then use a packet radio to transmit the sensor data down to the display head below rather than having to run wires down the mast.

Anyway just spitballing ideas for now and mainly want to know if my user interface idea is even possible....

Thanks much!

bretthoward

Re: Neopixel 24 and 4 digit feather board fit

by franklin97355 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 4:10 pm

The diagonal of the display is 2.14" so, no it won't fit. You might be able to file the edges a bit or mount it behind the ring and still see it well enough.

franklin97355

by bretthoward on Sun Dec 31, 2017 6:06 pm

Am I correct in assuming that the 14 seg 4 digit thingy is the same size?

bretthoward

by franklin97355 on Sun Dec 31, 2017 7:00 pm

Pretty much so.

franklin97355

by bretthoward on Sun Dec 31, 2017 9:54 pm

Thanks much... Heck you're just up the road from me... I'm in Eugene. If you ever want to go sailing during the season sometime just let me know... ;)

bretthoward

by bretthoward on Wed Jan 10, 2018 4:07 am

Looks like this setup is going to work.... I've got the project mostly working now... Did a quick video here: https://photos.app.goo.gl/6GcqzuaaAsZ9ng1x1

Now to add some radios a battery and a tiny solar panel to make the anemometer wireless......

bretthoward

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.