Bought three 32x32 matrix (6mm), two are defective
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Bought three 32x32 matrix (6mm), two are defective

by t0pquark on Wed Jan 03, 2018 11:08 am

Hello -

I placed an order on December 11th for several items, including two 32x32 matrix boards and two Teensy 3.5's and two of the new SmartMatrix boards. After hooking everything up, the first panel just showed random blocks of blue and yellow and never changed, regardless of what was running on the Teensy. I looked through all of the support topics I could find and decided to re-solder the headers on the Teensy in case one of them was bad. Same result after the re-solder.

Then I hooked the Teensy up to the second panel. This one actually showed some changes, but the animation that should have been playing was only on a quarter of the screen and was only showing red and green. The rest of the LEDs were just a mess of red and green.

Then I tried an old Arduino Uno I had bought years ago and had the same issues. One panel did nothing, the other one showed movement but was completely jumbled.

I couldn't find anything else online about what the issue might be, so I put in an order for a new panel on December 19th. I didn't get a chance to play around with this panel until I got back from traveling for the holidays.

Upon plugging the Teensy into this new panel, everything worked immediately, exactly as you would expect.

At this point I'm just wondering how I could have received two bad panels (maybe would have expected it from a random seller on Alibaba) and how I can get these replaced.

t0pquark

Re: Bought three 32x32 matrix (6mm), two are defective

by t0pquark on Sun Jan 14, 2018 12:22 pm

Nothing after 2 weeks? I thought the point of buying from Adafruit and not the same thing for cheaper from China was that "you get support". I'm posting this in the forums because people who send emails like this to the support email address get told to "post it on the forums".

t0pquark

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.