Best Display under hard direct sunlight?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Best Display under hard direct sunlight?

by dreamstarusa on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:56 am

Hey guys,

I am working on a speedometer for motorcycles which will require roughly a 3.5" display (I'm flexible on this). I'd like to know which display is best under hard CA direct sunlight. I have done tests with small OLEDs and it was very good in broad day light, but when I went under direct sunlight, it was not good enough. I'm assuming reflection is also an issue.

I just saw your E-paper displays and right away I thought it would be amazing for my use, but then I searched and realized you cannot do real-time displaying such as of a speedometer. Is this correct? If so, do we expect the technology to improve to do real time soon?

What display would you guys recommend for my application?

I have not decided on the micro-controller yet, so this should not be considered at this point. I will pick the controller after picking the display.

Any comments is dearly appreciated.

Max

dreamstarusa

Re: Best Display under hard direct sunlight?

by mikewhitten on Tue Jan 09, 2018 2:03 pm

I've got a Papirus on order so no direct experience. Still, check out the final two animations in the video below. Depending on how your wants it might be fast enough.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=neGKnfJFHx4

mikewhitten

Re: Best Display under hard direct sunlight?

by dreamstarusa on Tue Jan 09, 2018 4:50 pm

Dear Mike,
Thank you very much for the link. It does look good at 100. I am assuming they are milliseconds? Yes, I am a complete newbie and I am learning slowly. If so, 100ms (1/10th of a second) would be fast enough for me.

So, now the only question is : what is considered PARTIAL? or rather is 100ms possible for 40% to 60% of the screen utilized for example? In the case of my speedometer, the numbers displayed (the SPEED) will be really big - as to be seen by a motorcycle rider in fast and dangerous motion. So if the rider is going 65 MPH, the number 65 would be really big and probably take a fair amount of the screen size.

What are your thoughts?

dreamstarusa

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.