Suggestion: Look Into Expanded Range of Cheaper OLED Display
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Suggestion: Look Into Expanded Range of Cheaper OLED Display

by Geometrian on Fri Jan 12, 2018 5:31 pm

Hi,

The selection of displays, especially graphics-based displays, currently available on Adafruit is really quite limited.

The FeatherWing 128⨯32 OLED board is alright (I ordered one yesterday, and am excited to play with it; the integrated buttons are a great feature). But, there doesn't seem to be anything else. E.g. different resolutions or PCB shapes. Today, (64–256)⨯(16–128) pixel monochrome and color OLED displays are widely available commercially.

The other thing is expense. The FeatherWing is a 128⨯32 OLED and costs $14.95. However, this 128⨯32 OLED is just $2.11, with bulk orders even less (it lacks a PCB and buttons, but if those were added, perhaps this would raise the cost to maybe $5–6?). I would buy lots of screens at that price, but as-is, it's pretty hard to justify.

The ideal product for my current project would be a roughly 128⨯32 OLED, but mounted on a PCB small enough to fit snugly over the Trinket M0 (and have some confirmation that it could be driven from same), with at least two little buttons, and for a price < $9 (and more like $5). However, the overall point here should not be lost—you should have lower prices and much more variation for your OLED screens.

Thanks!
Ian
Geometrian

Re: Suggestion: Look Into Expanded Range of Cheaper OLED Dis

by franklin97355 on Fri Jan 12, 2018 10:07 pm

Thank you for the comments. We make a few displays that work well with our products and are good for prototyping. For those that need large quantities or specialty displays there are companies that will make them and since all our boards are open source others can modify our designs to fit their needs.

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.