[SOLVED] dimming of EL wire
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

[SOLVED] dimming of EL wire

by tomtenberge on Fri Feb 09, 2018 9:08 am

hello everyone!

i am poking around with EL wire i bought from here (like a year ago by now, got to busy doing other things).
and i am looking into "fading" el wire, or changing the intensity, not i read that you can do it with a triac but it seemed very finnicy.
another source suggested that the best way of dimming EL wite, is by actually modulating the AC frequency going into the EL wire.
now this i find very interesting, and since i have (a bunch) of 2AA EL wire inverters, i was thinking, instead of using those, i could canabalise one for the transformer, and use a arduino with his PWM control, to change the brightness, by changing the frequency of the AC signal.

the circuit i was thinking of is: https://gyazo.com/c3638e370aa80d6b1c4f8ad4fdabeb17

would this work? yes/no? any improvements?

edit:
another way i have found is with the use of a lm 317 to regulate the voltage going into the inverter, maybe thats a better idea?
Last edited by tomtenberge on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:21 pm, edited 1 time in total.

tomtenberge

Re: dimming of EL wire

by franklin97355 on Fri Feb 09, 2018 4:48 pm

That circuit should work fine.

franklin97355

Re: dimming of EL wire

by tomtenberge on Sun Feb 11, 2018 4:20 pm

okay, so , follow-up:
the circuit works, but you will need a beefy transistor, with even bigger cooling fins
i ended up using a TIP31B to drive it.
also, getting a set frequency isn't easy, i ended up using a library called PWM (https://forum.arduino.cc/index.php?topic=117425.0)
it works like a charm, i can even play music on the transformer :)

oh btw, the transformer is one salvaged from a 3v EL wire inverter, and the resistor is 100 Ohm

tomtenberge

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.