EL wire/tape brightness, flexibility?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

EL wire/tape brightness, flexibility?

by abowers87 on Sat Feb 17, 2018 5:37 pm

Hi all,
I'm new to using Electroluminescents, but I've got a project that is basically made for it. I've got to make this medallion with recesses that glow cyan. If I put some EL wire inside the lips of the recesses, would it fill the recesses with light, or is it too dim?

Also, about EL tape, can it flex or stretch across it's surface, IE could I tape a 4 inch circle on a flat surface with it? Or, if taped to the inside of a circular recess (like the inside of a car wheel) would it fill the recess with glow?
Thanks!

abowers87

Re: EL wire/tape brightness, flexibility?

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Feb 18, 2018 7:04 am

EL is not as bright as LEDs. It it more effective with lower ambient light levels.

The tape has almost no lateral flexibility. The base material does not stretch at all.

adafruit_support_bill

by Trentjk2 on Sat Aug 24, 2019 5:22 am

If one were to try to make a flat ring with EL tape without any ripples, what would be a good estimate for the minimum diameter of this circle? I just want to get a metric of the lateral flexibility of the tape.

Trentjk2

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Aug 24, 2019 7:17 am

I have a 1 meter piece here. Keeping it flat on the table, the most lateral deflection I can get is about 5mm in the center.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.