flashing different groups on one strip

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Merkelck

Re: flashing different groups on one strip

Post by Merkelck »

Hello chemdoc77,
No, I haven't given up on this thing yet but sometimes life gets in the way of projects. Some progress has been made however. I have switched the controller to the Metro Mini. It works fine. The flag pole mounts and hardware have been fabricated and assembled. I have decided to put the controller up at the display. I have rigged the pole so that it can be laid down for ease of modification later. I am in the process of constructing some of the interface units to use the CAT5/6 cable to run up the pole. For this initial effort, I have 14ga wire that will carry the 5volts up the pole.
Bear with me. I have not given up
KentM

chemdoc77

Post by chemdoc77 »

Hi KentM;

Thank you for the update.

No, I did not think you gave up on your project.

Based on your list of things to do, I knew you had a lot of work ahead of you that might take a lot longer than a week.

You still have a lot to do. So, I am not expecting frequent updates.

I am looking forward to seeing the finished project in the future.

Best Regards,
Chemdoc77

Merkelck

Post by Merkelck »

Hello chemdoc77,
The pole is in the air. Of course, by the time I got it up there I already had a list of things I want to change. But for now here it is.
Bracket to mount pole to old sat antenna pole
Bracket to mount pole to old sat antenna pole
polemount.jpg (264.31 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
Controller at the display (Metro Mini)
Controller at the display (Metro Mini)
metromini.jpg (187.45 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
ready to raise
ready to raise
thepole.jpg (262.3 KiB) Viewed 1046 times
The video on youtube is here https://youtu.be/_OsguAqI5rw

My list of changes includes but not limited to:
1. move controller to shop so I can make adjustments.
2. I am going to power it with 12 volts up the pole and use a buck converter at the display.
3. Setup transceivers to run power and signal to display with cat5/6 cable.
4. Run a much lower brightness on all leds. With it set to 160, the total current was 3.1 amps @ 5volts. With the brightness this high, I think it allows the display to show the individual leds instead of difussing inside the translucent tube.
5. Videos proved to be a real task. After many years of photo/video work, I found my self with nothing but a phone and a point/shoot camera and that is just not adequate for this job. I need a camera with manual focus and settings to do the job.

But here is V1. I can't thank you enough for your assistance with the code. I have learned a great deal with your help and have analyzed your work so that I can understand what you have done and then be able to apply it more projects
I think there may be a better place to show this off. When I get some bugs worked out I will do that.
Regards
KentM

chemdoc77

Post by chemdoc77 »

Hi KentM:

Your project looks GREAT! The YouTube video is Awesome!!!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=_OsguAqI5rw

Thank you for letting me be a contributor to it.

Concerning diffusers: I have learned from the FastLED community that some people have used sandpaper on plastic to get a better diffuser effect or they have wrapped toilet paper around the NeoPixels, too. They have also used Rust-Oleum Frosted Glass spray on plastic. Many have noted that the distance of the diffuser from the NeoPixels is an important factor.

I don’t have the experience or equipment that you have but every video that I have made of my sketches for YouTube has been a battle. I have learned that best results are achieved when you set the brightness level very low (~ 20) when taking videos. This is with either a cell phone camera or with a good camcorder.

Keep an eye out later this week when I will post a new sketch for your project that you might like. It will incorporate the elements that you have plus a new one that you might like.

Best Regards,
Chemdoc77

Merkelck

Post by Merkelck »

Hello Chemdoc77,
Thanks for the great comments. Rest assured I appreciate them and I also appreciate all the help you gave me. I have really learned a lot from the code that you supplied and the reality is the display would be nothing with out your help. Now I can get to work on the mods and perhaps work out a better diffuser situation. But the most important thing right now is to get the controller on the ground where I can make changes easily. But for now I am going to just enjoy what I have up there.
Best regards
KenM

chemdoc77

Post by chemdoc77 »

Hi KentM:

I hope all is going well with your flagpole project.

I have created two new chase animations functions to go along with the previous animations for your flagpole project. You can see the new sketch running on a shorter NeoPixel strip on YouTube at:

https://youtu.be/FqY3-UZf-YE

The new code for your flagpole project can be found on GitHub at:

https://github.com/chemdoc77/CD77_FastL ... le_Project

This new sketch uses my chase animations (see 32 seconds into the YoutTube video) which I have posted previously in this form. This new sketch uses Mark Kriegsman’s FastLED Performance Time Code. I use the tab provision in the Arduino IDE to make the sketch easier to follow. I have also rewritten the CRGBSet functions to work with the Performance Time code and they now can be used with different size CRGBSet arrays if one wants to use different size arrays or a different size NeoPixel strip. You can change the number of repetitions of the CRGBSet functions by changing how long it is scheduled to run in the Performance Time Code.

Best Regards,
Chemdoc77

Merkelck

Post by Merkelck »

Thank you so much for the new information. Those changes look exciting to me and I hope to be able to experiment with them soon. The flagpole is operating very well right now . However, I have not had time to make any changes with it. Getting old is not for sissies!!! I have decided that it would be in my best interest to move the controller into the shop as it is just too much trouble to lower the pole every time I want to make a code change. My work the with the NODEMCU device as not progressed like I would have hoped so that I could make changes via wifi. I do have all the parts in place now for the construction of the system to run 12v up the pole and use a buck converter up there to make the five volts.
Thanks again for you help with this endeaavor.
Regards
KentM

Merkelck

Post by Merkelck »

Chemdoc77,
Please don't pass out or faint but I am still alive. Sometimes life has a way of getting in the way. But I finally got this flagpole thing modified with your latest code and I find it most fascinating. I still don't have it straight in my mind. I thought I was doing well to have a handle on the final code that I used before. At any rate, it has put a goal out there for me to work on. I have the latest code installed and working. I made two small mods to allow for a different input pin on the computer (pin 4). I am also using a "metro mini" device. I also reconfigured the led numbers so that the red was at the top instead of the bottom. I never did get the "ethernet cable power system working" so I stuck with the five volts up the cable. Or the ultimate would be to get the thing working with the wifi device. But for now it is up there and working. I had to take it down and reconfigure for wet weather however. We finally got some rain recently and my initial waterproofing was inadequate. But that has been fixed and it works fine in the recent heavy rains we have experienced here in north Texas. I have attached a folder with my current material. It is the same as yours with the exception of the aforementioned pin assignments. My folder has _1 at the end of the title. Getting a decent video of the thing still eludes me however. I never have found anyone who has a decent SLR camera. So this latest video was done with one of my drones. Of course, when I did the video, the wind was not behaving and there is a good deal of motion. But I think you can see the sequences ok.
Once again, I can't thank you enough for the assistance you have given me both in providing code and the education in using the code. When I requested help with this project, I never imagined how well it turned .
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOlXG98_xOk
Attachments
CD77_Flagpole_Project_1.zip
(3.99 KiB) Downloaded 13 times

chemdoc77

Post by chemdoc77 »

Hi KentM:

Your new video of the NeoPixel Flagpole Project at:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XOlXG98_xOk

is AWESOME!

You did a great job videotaping it.

I am glad you like the new chase functions animation near the end of the animation. I love the way it looks.

Thank you for letting me help you with your project.

As to setting up the MCU a long distance from the NeoPixels, I would recommend again you consider using the following:

https://plus.google.com/+JasonCoon1/posts/EJsbqE3imgS

Since my code uses FastLED, I have posted the following on the FastLED Google Plus webpage:

https://plus.google.com/102004717133653 ... Mr95yDjMak

Best Regards,
Chemdoc77

Merkelck

Post by Merkelck »

Chemdoc77
I am delighted that you liked the show. I am really pleased with the outcome. Please feel free to use and refer to that video all you want. Without your help it would not have been possible. I will review the links you sent along.

Best regards
KentM

chemdoc77

Post by chemdoc77 »

Hi KentM:

Here is a better link to creating boards to transmit signals over a long distance between a MCU and NeoPixels:

https://www.oshpark.com/shared_projects/kM1DRLS1

Be sure to click on the "Project description" button.

Best Regards,
Chemdoc77

Merkelck

Post by Merkelck »

Hello chemdoc77,
Once again I find my self in need of some education in this code business. First of all, please understand that this is not a life threatening issue. I know you have a lot better things to do but any time you can spare, I do appreciate the help.
I have been trying to add some more to the flagpole sketch. In an attempt to further understand the time performance code, I downloaded Kriegsmans TimePerformance code from github. I have it loaded with a 240 pixel strip and I have the thing running as he wrote it. But I have been trying to modify the code to allow the sketch to run continuously. I am striking out at every turn. The main issue here is my lack of understanding of his "ResetPerformance" method. As I see it , the program runs to the "if( Serial.read() ) statement. If the r character has been entered in the serial monitor the program will run once. After uploading the code, it will run once but after that a serial input is required. I tried removing that step, but the sketch never runs at all.
My real problem with this issue is that I don't really have a good feel for the flow of things. The way I read it, if the Serial.read is in fact an 'r' then the program jumps to line 151 "void RestartPerformance".
Once again, I want to emphasis that I value your time and effort, and if you are unable to do this I will understand.
Regards
KentM

chemdoc77

Post by chemdoc77 »

Hi KentM:

Look at the code I posted in Github:

https://github.com/chemdoc77/CD77_FastL ... le_Project

Look at the Time_performance.h tab and look at line 64 in that tab where I inserted the RestartPerformance() function. I modified Mark’s original code so that it will loop continuously. That is how you do it.

If you post what you are trying to add, I can insert it into the code so that it will work for you.

Best Regards,
Chemdoc77

Merkelck

Post by Merkelck »

Chemdoc77,
Once again you have come to the rescue. I really was not trying to add more to the flagpole yet. But in trying to understand that program, I downloaded some sketches from Kriegsman's github page. My effort at the time was to get the Time_Performance sketch to run continuously. I knew from the section where he was waiting for a serial input of the letter 'r', that I needed to execute the RestartPerformance section. But until I got your reply, it didn't dawn on me that I needed to put the command at the very end of the Performance function. I simply commented the (Serial.read) statement and added the RestartPerformance at the end of the time table in the Performance function. And that did the trick. I also downloaded another sketch from Kriegsman called DemoReel100.
I have made a couple of simple changes to the main flagpole to create a holiday look by changing the color to red, white and green. I am also considering another unit using the rainbow functions that he has used in the demo reel. It appears that the main difference in your implementation is your use of arrays. I have been studying arrays very heavily. But I think that I could add some of these rainbow items into the flagpole by simply including the functions in the Array_Functions.h file and then setting the time table to specify when I want them to appear..
My effort to build a second system has been stymied by the unavailable frosted acrylic tubing. However, I have found another source and it has been shipped.
Thanks again for coming to my aid.
KentM

chemdoc77

Post by chemdoc77 »

Hi KentM:

I am glad that I was able to be of assistance to you. FYI, the functions in the Chase.h tab do not use the RGBSET arrays.

DemoReel100 is a great learning sketch for FastLED. You can find more great FastLED examples if you look at the Arduino IDE with FastLED installed in the library and you click on File -> Examples->FastLED.

For your holiday display sketches, I would recommend that you look at the following sketches by Mark Kriegsman of FastLED:

TwinkleFox.ino:

https://gist.github.com/kriegsman/756ea6dcae8e30845b5a

Pride2015.ino:

https://gist.github.com/kriegsman/964de772d64c502760e5

For TwinkFox.ino, you can change the variables in lines 81, 86, 89, 105, 110, 132 and the palettes at the end of the sketch to get the look you want.

For Pride2015.ino, you can change the first number in any beatsin function in the sketch to get the look you want.

These can be included in any sketch using the Time Code Performance function.

You might also want to look at:

https://gist.github.com/kriegsman/8281905786e8b2632aeb

and

https://gist.github.com/kriegsman/e9d2e153af7bf4770d5c

Finally to learn more about FastLED, I would recommend that you look at the FastLED Community webpage at:

https://plus.google.com/communities/109 ... 4227823508

I look at this Adafruit forum and the FastLed webpage at least on a daily basis.

I am looking forward to seeing videos of your new animations!

Best Regards,
Chemdoc77

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”