Babel Fish LED Expansion
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Babel Fish LED Expansion

by joshstern on Wed Mar 07, 2018 5:12 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:The solder looks OK. Try plugging the RFID shield directly into the Mega and see if you can run the example code from the library.

It looks like you cut off the SDA and SCL pins, so you will have to use the jumpers.

Ok, I'm thinking it might be the Mega because when I use just the Wave shield, I get:

"Pi speaker
Error: Card init. failed!
SD I/O error: 1, FF"

Yet this works fine with an Uno.

joshstern

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:04 pm

Hmmm. Actually, the wave shield issue is something different. It is a very old design and is not compatible with the Mega. At least not without a lot of surgery. The SD card interface uses SPI which is on an entirely different set of pins on the Mega.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-shi ... ble-boards

adafruit_support_bill

by joshstern on Wed Mar 07, 2018 6:45 pm

adafruit_support_bill wrote:Hmmm. Actually, the wave shield issue is something different. It is a very old design and is not compatible with the Mega. At least not without a lot of surgery. The SD card interface uses SPI which is on an entirely different set of pins on the Mega.

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-shi ... ble-boards

Gotcha. I'm wondering what would be the easiest way of upping the memory to handle the LEDs.

joshstern

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Mar 07, 2018 7:16 pm

I'd first try to figure out how close you are on memory. If you are not too far off, you maybe able to optimize the code a bit to save enough bytes.

Start by shrinking the number of pixels. Currently you have the strip declared with 41 pixels. That is 123 bytes. Try decreasing that to 10 or 20 pixels. Find out how many pixels you have memory for.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.