What's the best display for winter use?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
sushukka

What's the best display for winter use?

Post by sushukka »

Hello,
I'm building a fingerprint lock with keypad and display. Controller is Arduino Mega which is inside the house. Mega is wired to the outside unit which has fingerprint sensor, ultrasonic sensor, keypad and some cheap 2.42" OLED connected to Mega's 5V rail. Everything worked fine until I finally mounted the outside unit. Here in Finland there are now -15 degrees celsius and it seems that the OLED display cannot handle it. Ultrasonic, keypad and fingerprint sensor work but display stays black.

The question is what display you would suggest me to buy from your shop for winter temperatures (thinking now this: https://www.adafruit.com/product/2719)? I assume that all of them are somewhat sluggish in freezing temperatures, but which one/type would at least work? Black&white is ok and the less cables the better. Putting a heating pad behind the display could work, but it seems kind a cheap and power consuming solution. As there are more outside DIY projects on the way, this is kind a important question especially when it seems hard to find any good discussion about this.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”