Neopixel LED Triangle HELP!
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Neopixel LED Triangle HELP!

by Maltezy310 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 12:41 am

Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 6.39.34 PM.png
Screen Shot 2018-03-06 at 6.39.34 PM.png (190.5 KiB) Viewed 224 times
Hi I have project coming up where I want to use Neopixels in a 4,3,2,1 Triangle set up. I am also controlling each neopixel individually by an IR sensor. I am new to neopixels and was wondering if any one knows how to manipulate the code so that each neopixel can be controlled individually by its own IR sensor. I will attach the CAD drawing in which each Neopixel and IR sensor will be housed in.

Maltezy310

Re: Neopixel LED Triangle HELP!

by Disciple on Fri Mar 09, 2018 5:36 am

What will the arrangement do?
I've controlled an Arduino running NeoPixels using IR and it works, as long as the IR sensing routine gets about 99% of the processor's time.
Do you plan to have ten sensors in the array and signal one at a time with a remote? That might be difficult, with limited pins and processor time to go around, and what remote has so precise an aim? Alternatively, will it be one IR sensor reading different codes from a remote? The Techno-Tiki RGB LED Torch might have some useful circuit tips. Hoping for the best.

Hallelujah!
Disciple

Disciple

by Maltezy310 on Fri Mar 09, 2018 7:14 am

Each pod is supposed to read a Cup placed on top so the color might be red when there is no cup present and then green when a cup is present. I’m just not sure how to make a matrix on the code that is a triangle

Maltezy310

by dee_sap on Fri Mar 09, 2018 1:16 pm

Is this a very elaborate beer pong setup? What microcontroller are you using to control this and what format of neopixel are you using? If you have one pixel per cell, controlling the pixels should be relatively simple if you wire them in a string (controller --> D-in on pixel 1, Pixel 1 D-out --> D-in on pixel 2).

You don't need an LED matrix. Using the neopixel library, you tell it you have 10 pixels and light accordingly. Each time through the main loop, the controller lights each light according to its associated IR sensor. The IR sensors get a little tricky, but should be fine as long as your controller has enough pins.

dee_sap

by kcl1s on Fri Mar 09, 2018 9:07 pm

Sometimes a microcontroller and neopixels are just overkill. Why not use something like this digital proximity sensor https://www.adafruit.com/product/3025 with a tri-color common cathode led for each cup. Light one color all the time and add a second color when the cup is pulled. You can not get red and green with out additional circuitry but you can get red and yellow or red and violet.

Keith

kcl1s

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.