is my Neopixel trash?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

is my Neopixel trash?

by username1031 on Wed Mar 07, 2018 4:08 am

My question is if i can salvage this neopixel strip.
I am self taught and do belive that this is do to my soldering iron being to hot
Attachments
20180306_235507.jpg
20180306_235507.jpg (42.56 KiB) Viewed 285 times

username1031

Re: is my Neopixel trash?

by username1031 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 4:36 pm

I'm having trouble with this, nearly 50 people, we will subtract 10 for me checking on my post, so 40 people have seen this post and no one has the ability to tell me anything on my post. This is hard for me to call this a community if no one from the community wants to help out.

I understand this is not the right venue for my venting, but this is not the first time this happened on the forum.

It's pretty appalling that no one has the ability to help another person out. I understand that I'm not that smart on the subject matter, and asked someone else with a bigger brain than I to help and nobody here has the courtesy to do so.

Even if this was the wrong place to post this post that is a guide in the general direction.

username1031

by adafruit_support_bill on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:16 pm

Sorry I missed your original post.

That stick is still quite usable. You can power it using the 5v pad on the other end.

I am self taught and do belive that this is do to my soldering iron being to hot

Most likely , it is due to something not being clean. Either the iron itself, the solder pad, or the wire. The adhesive that holds the pads to the board will break down if heated for too long. With everything clean and a hot iron, you should be able to solder the joint in just a few seconds.

This guide has some tips on soldering: http://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-guid ... -soldering

In this case, you may also want to 'tin' the wire. This involves heating the wire and melting some solder onto it. Then touch the pre-tinned wire to the pad. Heat both of them with the iron and apply some more solder to complete the joint.

adafruit_support_bill

by kcl1s on Sun Mar 11, 2018 5:18 pm

Speaking as a fellow hobbyist, here are a few reasons you may not have gotten a response from the 'community'. It was not clear if you were seeking replacement for your stick in which case Adafruit support would be the correct person to respond. Adafruit support checks the forums and say they look for unanswered posts first. If a regular person answers, your post may not get noticed by support (which unfortunately happened anyway).

So it is hard to tell are the foil solder pads gone or just dirty? I successfully teach soldering to teens all the time and I would say you are probably not using the right soldering iron. If you are looking for a new iron something like this would work great. https://www.adafruit.com/product/3685 When soldering electronics you need a fine tip that is properly cleaned and tinned. We solder with 60/40 lead rosin core solder and keep the temp 380 - 400 Celsius. There are lots of good 'how to solder' videos on Youtube.

If your foil pads are just dirty you can try to clean them with gentle use of a scotchbright type pad then flux the pads and try again with an appropriate and properly prepared iron. If the pads are gone you can salvage the stick by turning it over and carefully soldering to the pads of the first pixel. This might be hard for a beginner because the pixel can be damaged with too much heat. Either way make sure you are on the 'data in' end of the stick.

Hope this helps
Keith

kcl1s

by username1031 on Sun Mar 11, 2018 11:31 pm

I would like to apologize for my outburst, and thank you for responding. It was not the appropriate way for me to get response. I suffer a little bit from some mental issues and I understood that that rant may have not been appropriate.

Thank you again.

I will try to make my post more clear next time.

I know any thing I do after receiving any items are my own doing.

To clarify I accidentally peeled off the contacts
And was unclear if for learning purposes i could still use the other end wire it up to arduino still to learn the programming. Then when I feel comfertable with the software move back to hardware.

Sorry for my post painting me in a negitive light. Thank you for not shaming me. (I can say deserved it)

username1031

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.