White Screen on 2.2 PiTFT for PiGRRL Zero

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
adafruit2

Re: White Screen on 2.2 PiTFT for PiGRRL Zero

Post by adafruit2 »

yeah we're going to check out and reply when we figure out why - or at least get closer to figuring out why :)

overseerbob

Post by overseerbob »

I'm also having this problem. But I had an extra issue that makes me feel like this is all software related. The script I've been directed to use in the official tutorial gives me a script to run, but the commands only display the script. It doesn't actually run, and when I try to run the bash after the curl -0, it says the file doesn't exist. Would that mayhaps have any effect on my white screen?

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

bob, it would, do you have internet on the pi working? thats required :)

brianlight

Post by brianlight »

Any word yet on what could could be happening with these displays my display will intermittently work what I suspect is the issue with mine is and intermittent connection issue on the ribbon cable that connects the display to the hat.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

no idea yet!

oxyink

Post by oxyink »

300/5000
hello, everyone, I have the same problem, but I realized that by connecting an HDMI cable or mini HDMI to HDMI adapter, my display returns to the pitft. ADAFRUIT look if the problem comes from the, and everyone made the test and comment to have a return on this solution. thank you

overseerbob

Post by overseerbob »

adafruit2 wrote:bob, it would, do you have internet on the pi working? thats required :)
I most certainly do!! When I run the script from the provided tutorial, I get a display of the script, but it doesn't actually run. I may have no idea what I'm talking about here, but is the "curl -0" supposed to be a different command for pi 0 w? I was sent a 0w.. I used the 4.2 retropie image. Internet works fine. Even updated it fully. Still nothing.

I sincerely think that my issue might be solved if I can just make that script run instead of just display..

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

hiya, we're having some difficulty reproducing the issue.
just so we're all totally on the same page and to help debug (we dont want to send you another one if its going to *also* not work).
if you have a 'bad' display please reply

1) did you *ever* see it working
2) what is the 4-digit datecode marking on the bottom (e.g. 0417)
3) if you have your packaging still, whats the work order #, its below the barcode, e.g. W6230-A
4) please try making a fresh copy of Jessie Stretch Lite (raspberrypi.org/download) and run this https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-2 ... sy-install select `2.2" TFT`, "90 rotation" and "Console on PiTFT" then "Y" to reboot, does it work at all now?

tfrailie

Post by tfrailie »

Glad that I'm not the only person having this problem. Going ahead and buying some solder wick to start removing the screen from the RPi 0.

overseerbob

Post by overseerbob »

adafruit2 wrote:hiya, we're having some difficulty reproducing the issue.
just so we're all totally on the same page and to help debug (we dont want to send you another one if its going to *also* not work).
if you have a 'bad' display please reply

1) did you *ever* see it working
2) what is the 4-digit datecode marking on the bottom (e.g. 0417)
3) if you have your packaging still, whats the work order #, its below the barcode, e.g. W6230-A
4) please try making a fresh copy of Jessie Stretch Lite (raspberrypi.org/download) and run this https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-2 ... sy-install select `2.2" TFT`, "90 rotation" and "Console on PiTFT" then "Y" to reboot, does it work at all now?
1: Nope. Not even once..
2: 4717
3: w5874-a
4: tried that before I posted.. lol Just in case.

adafruit2

Post by adafruit2 »

bob, please post some clear photos of your Pi + PiTFT so we can take a look

tfrailie

Post by tfrailie »

Since I'm having the same problems, should I post photos as well?

marcushoffmann

Post by marcushoffmann »

Hey there,

unfortunately I got a similar problem.
I tested all possible connections from the soldered 40-pin header to the PiTFT's pins (the row next to the display) with a multimeter and could not find any broken connection.

I used a Raspberry Pi Zero (no W).

Would it make sense to check the SPI / I2C connections with a logic analyzer?

To the questions:
1: Not really, it either stays white or looks like on the attached photos.
2: 4717 (may also be a 4217 or 4317, the second digit is hidden behind the HDMI connector).
3: w5874-a
4: Result is what can be seen in the photos. The black part that looks like it has scrambled letters is exactly this - I can see it moving when pressing buttons on the attached USB keyboard. With retropie the screen stays white.

Just a thought:
Are there any ESD sensitive parts on the PiTFT-HAT that might get easily damaged when fiddling around with it while soldering all those connections?
IMG_20180403_182711311.jpg
IMG_20180403_182711311.jpg (129.25 KiB) Viewed 608 times
IMG_20180403_1834_2.jpg
IMG_20180403_1834_2.jpg (73.17 KiB) Viewed 608 times

oxyink

Post by oxyink »

adafruit2 wrote:Hiya there's something that is going on but we dont know what yet. we've taken the 2.2" screens out of stock until we can figure out whats happening. we do test all the screens, but there may be something else going on.

Hello, I was waiting for a return, but no answer on my previous post.
Adafruit it would have been nice to answer it. but in the meantime I found the solution and I no longer have a white screen and everything works perfectly on my side thank you nothing goodbye.

tfrailie

Post by tfrailie »

Oxyink, what did you do to fix it?

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”