Pi Zero with Stretch and PiTFT 2.8r
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pi Zero with Stretch and PiTFT 2.8r

by kfeger on Sun Mar 11, 2018 1:01 pm

To Whom It May Concern...
I tried over and over to get my 2.8r PiTFT working on my Zero. After lots of installs I always only got a black screen. Since I installed Stretch from scratch with VNC i could see that X was there, just not on the TFT. I figured that maybe the wrong framebuffer was used. So after searching the world of google I found the solution. Here is what worked perfectly for me:
- Clean install of latesed stretch
- Configure the GUI as needed (the taskbar gets quite cluttered on a 2.8")
- run Adafruits 'adafruit-pitft-helper2.sh' (great job BTW)
"no" for console, "yes" for HDMI-Mirroring. Since I'm not eager do again a new install, I didn't try it again with other combinations.
- change to /usr/share/X11/xorg.conf.d
- do 'sudo nano 99-fbturbo.conf'
- change the line ' Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb0"' to ' Option "fbdev" "/dev/fb1"'
- sudo reboot
Done. For me at least...PiTFT 2.8r with touch.
kfeger

Re: Pi Zero with Stretch and PiTFT 2.8r

by Farqhuit on Wed Apr 04, 2018 3:26 pm

I tried this except choosing not to mirror, as i have been having trouble getting the TFT working as a framebuffer. When I changed the 99-fbturbo file I got output only to the TFT, and very small. I tried with some difficulty to change the file back to how it was, and now I have no output, either to TFT or HDMI. I am stuffed. I don't blame you, kfeger, thanks for the post which was clearly there to help others. I blame Adafruit for providing products that do not work, inadequate material to get them working, and no help when asked for. Thanks Adafruit, nice work. Now, about my money back?

Farqhuit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.