Motion Sensing NeoPixel Ring
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Motion Sensing NeoPixel Ring

by demonichedgehog on Sat Mar 24, 2018 10:54 am

Hello,

I want to start with the fact that I am VERY new to this so i apologize in advance for sounding stupid.

I am working on a staff for a cosplay outfit and I wanted to use a NeoPixel ring to sit near the top. I want the pixel to turn one color if the top of the staff is rotated clockwise and another color when it's rotated the other direction. I started piecing together what I need. I think i put together everything i needed for the ring itself. For the rotational sensing, will i need an additional piece of hardware? Thanks in advance for your help.

demonichedgehog

Re: Motion Sensing NeoPixel Ring

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Mar 24, 2018 1:18 pm

There are two ways I can think of to do it:

A magnetometer can be programmed to work like a compass. This is good if you want to measure absolute rotation: e.g. North is one color, East is another.

A gyro measures the rate of rotation. That is good if you want to measure relative rotation from some arbitrary position.

We have a variety of IMU's that contain both Gyros and Magentometers, so you can use one or the other - or combine the two to get the best of both.

https://www.adafruit.com/?q=dof

adafruit_support_bill

by kcl1s on Sat Mar 24, 2018 4:30 pm

You could possibly go lower tech and use a couple of tilt switches https://www.adafruit.com/product/173 to sense your rotation direction. They worked well to only display text when moving from right to left in a POV wand project we did in the teen Arduino club I teach.

Fellow Hobbyist
Keith

kcl1s

by demonichedgehog on Fri Apr 13, 2018 4:33 pm

Hello All,

Thank you for the updates and advice. I am currently looking at the electric playground board. It has a built in accelerator, which i tough may detect the movement AND would not require too much configuring pieces together. Do you think this is a good idea or am i biting off more than i can chew?

demonichedgehog

by caitlinsdad on Fri Apr 13, 2018 5:12 pm

Follow the Light Painter Guide https://learn.adafruit.com/lightpaint-cplay?view=all and mount the board on the top of the staff. Have fun. Good luck.

caitlinsdad

by adafruit_support_bill on Sat Apr 14, 2018 5:58 am

Yes, the Circuit Playground is a good 'all-in-one' choice. And as caitlinsdad suggests, the Light Painter Guide is a good place to start.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.