EL Manipulation

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DevlshOne

EL Manipulation

Post by DevlshOne »

Hi All,
I own a 2012 Dodge Challenger that uses a custom-cut EL as the backlighting for the instrument cluster gauges. Some spots in the EL have defects and no longer glow - which makes the gauge it's behind look really bad. I was wondering if the EL panels sold here could be cut and connected in parallel so that I could use them to replace the entire panel behind my gauge cluster. The full cluster uses a single panel that's about 18" wide by 8" tall and I don't see any EL panels available here that have dimensions that suffice, so it would be a piecemeal replacement job.
TIA

semegraph

Re: EL Manipulation

Post by semegraph »

It's not easy, but you can cut up panels and add your own connectors if you have some soldering skill. I've done this a bunch of times making animated items, so I thought I would make a video of the process for anyone who wants to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSii8GO7GY

DevlshOne

Post by DevlshOne »

semegraph wrote:It's not easy, but you can cut up panels and add your own connectors if you have some soldering skill. I've done this a bunch of times making animated items, so I thought I would make a video of the process for anyone who wants to try it.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ghSii8GO7GY
Cool. Thanks for the info! Soldering is not an issue.. and it looks even simpler with the conductive paint. Have you seen any EL sheets as large as I need or am I going to have to buy and cut individual pieces and then wire them in parallel?

semegraph

Post by semegraph »

They get extremely expensive when you go bigger than A4 (8.5x11inches), that's why I suggested cutting peices of them up. I found A4 sheets on ebay for a reasonable price, but some sellers ship more carefully than others. I wish adafruit sold sheets bigger than 4" x 4"!

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”