PiTFT white screen
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PiTFT white screen

by rawk1971 on Fri Apr 13, 2018 3:37 pm

I have an Adafruit 2.8" PiTFT - Capacitive Touch screen which I'm using with a Raspberry Pi zero. I followed the instructions on this page:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-2-8 ... -install-2

I selected the correct product on the first question, 90 degrees rotation and then "n" to "Would you like the console to appear on the PiTFT display" and "y" to "Would you like the HDMI display to mirror to the PiTFT display?"

The PiTFT lights up white on boot, but I never see anything else. I'm not getting any video out of the HDMI, but that might be because the monitors I have don't support the small resolution.

Here's the version I'm running:
Linux raspberrypi 4.9.59+ #1047 Sun Oct 29 11:47:10 GMT 2017 armv6l GNU/Linux

Any advice?

rawk1971

Re: PiTFT white screen

by droob on Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:32 pm

I'm having the exact same issue with the 3.5" - Brand New. Flashed a new fresh image and ran the script. It boots. I can still SSH...

droob

by rawk1971 on Fri May 18, 2018 2:19 pm

Can we get any help from some on at Adafruit on how to troubleshoot this?

rawk1971

by J0hnny5 on Fri May 18, 2018 3:50 pm

I joined the forum to talk about this exact issue. I am using an RPi 2 B (v1.1) and a PiTFT 3.5" (product 2097B), with a fresh install of Raspbian Stretch (2018-03-13), not the lite version.

While following the easy instructions, which runs a bash script, I got an error;

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
[PITFT] Installing Python libraries & Software...
Installing Pre-requisite Software...This may take a few minutes!
  Could not find a version that satisfies the requirement evdev (from versions: )
No matching distribution found for evdev
WARNING : Pip failed to install software!

Rather than troubleshoot this problem I instead downloaded one of the older images provided by Adafruit at the bottom of the page in the "Unsupported Full Images" section.
NOTE: Do not use one of these images for the latest RPi, the RPi 3B+.

I downloaded the most recent image for my particular TFT, Jessie 2016-09-23, loaded it onto my SD card, and it worked fine for me at first boot.

J0hnny5

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.