Couple of begineer questions about Neopixels for a wordclock

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
bug3

Couple of begineer questions about Neopixels for a wordclock

Post by bug3 »

Hey guys,

I started building a wordclock with the great Neopixel stripes. So far - so good.
Finishing the electric circuit, there are arising a few questions now, I hope you can help me:

First:
I soldered one recommended 1000 µF capacitor between +5V and GND of the DC power supply.
The thing is: With 120 LEDs in 10 stripes, I have split the stripes into 5 parallel circuits (via busbars), like described here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... ting-power
Is it better to add one capacitor to each parallel branch - or should one capacitor at the power supply be sufficient (I hate soldering :D)?

Second:
When plugging the power supply in, all LEDs light up to full white for about half a second, until the microcontroller applies the signal. I'm worrying about the power supply: 4,5 A max. are a lot less than the current drawn by all LEDs fully lit up. Am I worrying too much?

Third - and last:
My microcontroller forwards the signal to all LEDs except the last 22 LEDs. Might this have sth. to do with the fact that I haven't built in a step-up converter from 3.3 V (controller) to 5 V yet? Or should the effect to the voltage difference be different?

Thanks indeed for your help!
Greetings from germany

bug

Franklin97355

Re: Couple of begineer questions about Neopixels for a wordc

Post by Franklin97355 »

For your setup and as a starting position one cap at the power supply should be OK. The power supply can only deliver what is can and for a short amount of time it should be OK. In the final project, you might consider having the micro control the power to the pixels through a MOSFET. Check to make sure your code is using the correct library calls, there are RGB and RGBW pixels and they take different amounts of data to control them.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”