2.2" 18-BIT COLOR TFT LCD persistent white screen
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

2.2" 18-BIT COLOR TFT LCD persistent white screen

by FallenGameR on Mon May 21, 2018 8:37 pm

Recently bought 2.2" 18-BIT COLOR TFT LCD DISPLAY WITH MICROSD CARD BREAKOUT - https://www.adafruit.com/product/1480

It has a hardware problem. The display wouldn't work after you start using it - it shows just white screen.
If one resets power cable to the Arduino about 30 times, eventually it starts showing what it is supposed to show (I tried the stock sample and occasionally could actually see all the image transitions that sample is supposed to show). But after an hour or two it goes again into this white state mode.

I tried to ask for refund but support@adafruit.com said to start the process here.

Here is the photo:
20180521_090726.jpg
20180521_090726.jpg (182.34 KiB) Viewed 469 times

Here is what else I've tried:
- debug pins. It turned out the pins are assigned correctly. But most of the time the display is just white.
- resetting the Arduino via it's reset button doesn't help
- resetting just the VIN (voltage) pin doesn't help
- what could help is removing and then inserting USB/power cable to the Arduino instead. If done 10+ times in a row occasionally it turns display into usable mode when it actually shows what it is supposed to show.

I'd like a refund. When the display occasionally unstuck and showed stuff I figured out I'd like a bigger display with a touch screen.
So I already ordered the bigger touch-enabled display and just want a refund for this faulty display.

FallenGameR

Re: 2.2" 18-BIT COLOR TFT LCD persistent white screen

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue May 22, 2018 12:51 pm

Our return policy is for unopened items within 30 days:
https://www.adafruit.com/shippinginfo

If you want to continue troubleshooting this display, we can do that. What sketch are you using to test with?

adafruit_support_carter

by FallenGameR on Wed May 23, 2018 3:50 pm

>Our return policy is for unopened items within 30 days:
If there is a hardware problem there is no way of knowing it until you open and try out the hardware.
Are you saying you don't accept returns of not working hardware?

>If you want to continue troubleshooting this display, we can do that. What sketch are you using to test with?
I doubt this would be of any use. As I said, the sample occasionally works (usually after multiple power off/on cycles to the arduino board). That means that the code works and that pins are set correctly.

I can look up the name of the sample in the evening. It was just a basic test. It fills the screen several times in different colors, then draws lines, text, circles, triangles and rounded rectangles then rotates text in cycle. It doesn't heave feather nor touch code in it.

FallenGameR

by frozenguy on Wed May 23, 2018 6:52 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Our return policy is for unopened items within 30 days:
https://www.adafruit.com/shippinginfo

If you want to continue troubleshooting this display, we can do that. What sketch are you using to test with?

Is this a joke? This wouldn't be the first time I saw Adafruit basically tell a customer to eff off.

I think I'll start telling people how much you guys suck.

frozenguy

by adafruit_support_carter on Wed May 23, 2018 7:26 pm

@frozenguy I'm offering to help trouble shoot the display they bought. There's no need to hijack this thread with harsh language.

@FallenGameR
When the display occasionally unstuck and showed stuff I figured out I'd like a bigger display with a touch screen.
So I already ordered the bigger touch-enabled display and just want a refund for this faulty display.

If there is a hardware problem there is no way of knowing it until you open and try out the hardware.
Are you saying you don't accept returns of not working hardware?

If it turns out the current display is bad, we can replace it. But it sounds like you are after a refund because it's smaller than you wanted. Since you've soldered on headers and used it, it's not that simple. That's why I pointed to the return policy.

It sounds like you're running the graphics test sketch from the guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/2-2-tft-disp ... phics-test
which defaults to using hardware SPI:
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_IL ... st.ino#L26

There may be some compatibility issues with hardware SPI and your clone board. As another check, you could try switching to software SPI (comment out hw line, uncomment sw line):
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_IL ... st.ino#L28
and be sure to define the pins for the wiring you are using.

Also if you can, post a better photo showing your soldering. It looks OK, but the resolution is just border line enough to not be able to tell for sure.

adafruit_support_carter

by FallenGameR on Thu May 24, 2018 2:25 am

>It sounds like you're running the graphics test sketch from the guide
Correct.

>As another check, you could try switching to software SPI (comment out hw line, uncomment sw line):
Software SPI seems to work. But the output is really slow.

I need to use this display for image output from SD card. The wording in the guide implies that hardware SPI should be used in this scenario: https://learn.adafruit.com/2-2-tft-disp ... fx-library :

"Wire up the TFT according to the high-speed SPI diagram above. Test that your wiring is correct by uploading the graphics test sketch with the high speed SPI line uncommented and the flexible-low-speed wiring commented."

Also I found out that if I reset the display via the rst pin and then reset the arduino (without powering it down) the display works for some time via the hardware SPI. But it doesn't make it through the whole set of graphicstests. On some graphic transition it again switches into the just-white-screen-state.

Today I spoke with an experienced colleague of mine who is also into arduino stuff and he suggested that there may be some timing issue in the SPI driver. Some timing gets wrong and the SPI protocol gets broken.

> Also if you can, post a better photo showing your soldering.
Attached:
Attachments
Soldering.jpg
Soldering.jpg (100.05 KiB) Viewed 426 times

FallenGameR

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu May 24, 2018 11:27 am

Thanks for the additional photo. Soldering looks fine, no issue there.

Software SPI won't be as fast as hardware SPI, so the slowness is expected. This was just a way of testing the display using a different approach. And it worked, so we know the display is OK. Now the question is why hardware SPI does not seem to work.

Today I spoke with an experienced colleague of mine who is also into arduino stuff and he suggested that there may be some timing issue in the SPI driver. Some timing gets wrong and the SPI protocol gets broken.

Possible. But this has all been tested and is known to work. Do you have access to another UNO board? Preferably a genuine one - that's what we know works. Swapping that out would be the next easiest thing to check.

[EDIT] Wanted to make sure nothing has changed with any of the software parts (library, Arduino IDE, etc). I just set up one of those displays here with an Arduino UNO and the wiring for hardware SPI from the guide. The graphicstest example is running fine for me, so this should still work per the guide.
uno_tft_wiring.jpg
uno_tft_wiring.jpg (261.77 KiB) Viewed 414 times

tft_display.jpg
tft_display.jpg (138.15 KiB) Viewed 414 times

adafruit_support_carter

by FallenGameR on Thu May 24, 2018 5:12 pm

> Do you have access to another UNO board? Preferably a genuine one - that's what we know works. Swapping that out would be the next easiest thing to check.
Nope. But I have a new Mega board. Both my boards are from Elegoo.
Can try it out on the Mega.

FallenGameR

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu May 24, 2018 5:41 pm

Go ahead and give that a try and see if it makes any difference. The guide has info on what pins to use for a Mega based board:
https://learn.adafruit.com/2-2-tft-disp ... ino-wiring
If using an Arduino Mega, connect CLK to 52 and MOSI to 51

so, wiring for Mega should be:
  • GND connects to ground
  • VIN connects to +5V
  • DC connects to digital 9
  • CS connects to digital 10
  • MOSI connects to digital 51
  • SCK connects to digital 52

adafruit_support_carter

by FallenGameR on Fri May 25, 2018 1:56 am

Here is what I've tried.

1) Connect the faulty 2.2 display to Mega over hardware SPI. The same kind of symtomps. It showed the complete grahicstest but at the very end the display again entered into all-white state. Display reset via rst pin can revive it for a few seconds but then it goes all-white again on a graphic transition.

After this test I think we have the following suspects:
- Elegoo hardware SPI is messed up on both Uno and Mega
- There is a hardware problem with the display
- There is a timing problem in the driver (some slight incompatibility between original Arduino and Elegoo clone)

But just today I got my second display. So I could do another test to see if it could reduce the number of suspects.

2) Connect the new 3.5 display to Mega over hardware SPI. No issues so far. The grahicstest is shown in full. I've tried to reset arduino several times and each time display shows the grahicstest just fine.

After this test I think we can say that Elegoo hardware SPI works fine. And it's either display problem or driver problem.
This returns me to the original ask - can you please refund the faulty 2.2 display?

FallenGameR

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri May 25, 2018 11:32 am

This returns me to the original ask - can you please refund the faulty 2.2 display?

Yep. I think we're getting close to that. A few more details, just to help us know if we need to look into something:
* From your testing, it appears the display worked OK using software SPI approach, but has issues with hardware SPI - correct?
* Were you using the ILI9340 library, or the ILI9341 library? Even though the display has the ILI9340, it's recommended to use the ILI9341 library.

Glad the new display is at least working with your setup though.

adafruit_support_carter

by FallenGameR on Sat May 26, 2018 12:48 am

* From your testing, it appears the display worked OK using software SPI approach, but has issues with hardware SPI - correct?

Correct.

* Were you using the ILI9340 library, or the ILI9341 library? Even though the display has the ILI9340, it's recommended to use the ILI9341 library.

ILI9341 as suggested by the documentation here - https://learn.adafruit.com/2-2-tft-display/arduino-code

Glad the new display is at least working with your setup though.

I'm glad as well. All the samples worked. Although the sample that draws image from SD card sometimes says that it can't read the file. I've swapped the order of TFT and SD card initialization and it seems that stabilized things. Hopefully it would be stable from now on.

FallenGameR

by adafruit_support_carter on Sat May 26, 2018 6:35 pm

Really weird that it works with software SPI but not hardware. I've left my Uno setup running with hardware SPI since my post above, and it's still running without issue. So it also doesn't seem related to length of time running. Not sure what it could be. Maybe the clone board's hardware SPI is running at unsupported clock rate? But the other display works, so dunno.

Let's replace it. Send an email to support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and your order number and they can get you a replacement 2.2" TFT display.

adafruit_support_carter

by FallenGameR on Sun May 27, 2018 1:19 am

Why replace and not refund?

FallenGameR

by adafruit_support_carter on Sun May 27, 2018 11:28 am

When you email support you can ask them about that. They can let you know what your options are.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.