Capacitive touch featherwing

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
tresidder17

Capacitive touch featherwing

Post by tresidder17 »

So I have a new project that I need to be portable and in a very small package.
I believe my best option for this is an ESP32 Feather as it has built-in battery charging, wifi/bluetooth and is very small.

My last requirement is a small touchscreen for I/O but both the 3.5" and 2.4" screens are resistive instead of capacitive which will be an issue for me.

However, the description for the 3.5" says it has a resistive touch controller and you only need one additional pin to upgrade to a high quality touchscreen controller. Another place selling the same screen said that it could be easily upgraded to a capacitive touchscreen too.

I can't seem to find any more information on this at all though.

Does anyone know how to do it, what parts to buy or can it be done to the 2.4" display as it would be better for my project?

Is there a way I could use the 2.8" capacitive touchscreen for the Arduino instead?

thanks
Last edited by tresidder17 on Tue Jun 12, 2018 10:17 pm, edited 2 times in total.

tresidder17

Re: Capacitive touch featherwing

Post by tresidder17 »

Otherwise, does anyone know of a non-Feather option that may suit my needs?

asteroid

Post by asteroid »

>Is there a way I could use the 2.8" capacitive touchscreen for the Arduino instead?

The UNO has basically the same footprint as the 2.8" capacitive tft shield except for the USB port which protrudes about 6 mm beyond the edge. The total height of an UNO with a 2.8" capacitive shield is approximately 2 cm. The Adafruit Metro series has a smaller USB port if the protrusion with an UNO is a problem; it is a newer board and you would have to check that it will work with a capacitive shield. Power supply would take up additional space.

tresidder17

Post by tresidder17 »

So I've done a little more research down the Arduino path and the Nano is the same as the Uno in terms of pins and functionality, correct?
This is with the exception of the power jack and the seperate SCL and SDA pins (can still use analog pins 4 and 5)

I then found the Dfrobot Bluno Nano which is a Arduino Nano with Bluetooth Low Energy built in (to save me space), however, it does not have the 6 pin ICSP header as (I'm assuming) it is used for the bluetooth part.

The 2.8" capacitive shield for the Uno has the ICSP header but I believe it is only used for the Leonardo and Mega so I can still use the shield with full functionality on the Bluno, right?

I am aware that using the Bluno will require wiring/soldering to get the connections to the right places but this won't be an issue for me.

Getting a bit away from what this sub forum is supposed to be about but the Bluno will need a power source and I need to use a small sized battery.
The Adafruit backpack for the Pro Trinket/ItsyBitsy (link below) is a 3.3V power supply/charger with a very small form factor but the description states that "many times," it can still power a 5V microcontroller and its accessories with no problems.
Will this be okay for my setup? The display and bluetooth are the only accessories that will have any measurable power drain and the whole system will be in a sleep mode for majority of its life. I plan to use a 3.7V 2500mAh (may have to reduce the mAh for size constraints) battery for the system.

Thanks

link to power backpack
https://www.adafruit.com/product/2124

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”