Using TFP401 with official 7" lcd

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
DaHose

Using TFP401 with official 7" lcd

Post by DaHose »

Hello everyone,

I am new to the Adafruit world, and got here by way of purchasing an official 7" LCD, with the intent of using it as an external touch display for a smartphone. After purchase I realized it came with a driver card that only works with a Pi. Which has led me to inverstigating the TFP401. If I understand how the 401 works, it seems like I should be able to use the screen via HDMI input, but I will only be able to run in 800X480. Does that sound right, and has anyone already tested the TFP401 for connecting an external display to a smartphone, using an MHL, slimport cable?

It looks like connecting to the touch feature is just a matter of connecting a USB cable to the port on the 401, and treating it like a mouse. Is that correct?

Thanks all.

Jose

DaHose

Re: Using TFP401 with official 7" lcd

Post by DaHose »

Ok, so I have some information of my own to share.

The TFT I bought is sold as the "official" Raspberry Pi screen and comes with a Raspberry Pi display board v 1.1. The screen has a connector that DOES NOT work with the TFP401.

Great. I'm now stuck with a screen I can't return, and can't use for anything.

I hope someone can please answer if this TFP401 works to make an external display for a phone. It would take all of 5 minutes to test, but it sucks that the only option is to just buy stuff and see if it fails to work.

Jose

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”