Making a more durable 10-minute Neopixel Jewel necklace

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
lymerae

Making a more durable 10-minute Neopixel Jewel necklace

Post by lymerae »

Hi there! I really want to try out this project: https://learn.adafruit.com/10-minute-ne ... e?view=all

However, I'd be using this at Burning Man, and therefore would need to make it a bit more durable / long lasting than the design shown in the video, which leads me to two questions:

1. The video shows the battery being hot-glued inside, but I'm confused by this. How would you recharge the battery if it's permanently affixed like this? Can the battery still be recharged from this position? I've never used Li-poly before, so I'm not sure how the charger works.

2. This design just leaves the components sticking out the back, but I'd want to protect them from sweat / dust / rain. I don't have easy access to a 3D printer, and I can't easily find a ready-made craft solution - hollow clear half-globe lockets do exist, for instance, but I can only find them in sizes up to 30-35 mm, which I'm concerned would not leave enough room (the widest component is the battery at 31 mm, but the combined thickness looks like it would be around 13 mm, which would probably be too tight to fit around the edges). Any ideas for a hard metal or plastic hinged / removable backing? (Thick is fine - I'm not going to be wearing this as a necklace.) Or is my best option learning how to modify the Gemma 3D printed case somehow?

Many thanks!

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Making a more durable 10-minute Neopixel Jewel necklace

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

1. She glues the battery in place, but leaves enough of the battery wires free that you can un-plug it from the processor and plug it into a charger. You could also splice in an extra connector so that you can seal up the entire back with just the connector sticking out. https://www.adafruit.com/product/261

2. If you hunt around on-line you may be able to find a larger locket. And there are 3D printing services on-line, as well as at some retail locations such as Staples.

For a protective backing, check around the house for plastic bottles or jars about the right diameter. You can cut off the bottom and glue it over the back of the locket. Just make sure to preserve access to the battery connector for charging.

lymerae

Post by lymerae »

Thanks so much for the super-fast reply!

Follow-up: it's not just the battery I'd need access to, as I'd need to get to the Gemma to turn the light on and off, right? That's why I was imagining being able to open up the whole thing. I also like being able to access the components of any of the wiring or parts need fixing.

Just found these as a possible option: Seekingtag Clear DIY Fillable Plastic Ball Craft Ornaments 50 Mm – Pack of 12 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00QRGO048/re ... tBbN0J0PFW

Looks like I could stick the assembly in there, paint the back opaque metallic, paint the front frosted translucent, and the whole thing would pop open as needed.

adafruit_support_bill

The plastic ball looks like it should work. If you can ABS in the right size, it will be more durable than the styrene versions.

https://www.amazon.com/Caydo-Crafting-O ... GYDXPNQXEN

lymerae

Post by lymerae »

Awesome. Now I found something that looks even better:
https://etsy.me/2NjpJjX

Looking forward to this! Thanks for all your help!

adafruit_support_bill

Those look nice! And they appear rugged enough to handle some harsh conditions on the playa.

aaronaverill

Post by aaronaverill »

Google "round clear acrylic snap container" - I found lots of options under 5 bucks, some as large as 5 inches :) You could easily paint parts of it black. Or in UV paint, which would be delightful under certain BM conditions.

I think it would be a great design to get a switch and a charger plug that is accessible from the outside, cut a hole in the case, slather the whole mess with silicone caulk, then ideally you don't have to open the case at all. When BM is over you can pull your blinky goodies out... toss the case with the plug and switch if they are fried from the dust, and replace with another for a few bucks but keep your electronics clean. If you're really paranoid you could even spray coat the entire thing in urethane so it's sealed temporarily.

if you're really ambitious you can get waterproof switches and probably find a charger plug that has a waterproof silicone insert thingy that would make it super rugged.

or.. you can make some of your own by casting silicone which would be a fun project

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”