Can i power LED's with ELwire ?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
waltervd

Can i power LED's with ELwire ?

Post by waltervd »

more like that i want to have EL wires and LED in the same project and it would be easier if i could power both from the same source instead of making a separate thing for just the LED's

i added a 3d version of my project the horns would be light up with the LED's and the wings/glowy stipes would glow with ELwire
Attachments
green noodle.PNG
green noodle.PNG (306.02 KiB) Viewed 125 times

oesterle

Re: Can i power LED's with ELwire ?

Post by oesterle »

Hi, Walter!

You could use something like the 12V EL wire/tape inverter, along with a 8 x AA battery holder with 5.5mm/2.1mm Plug and On/Off Switch, for the EL wire.

If your LEDs are also 12V, it may be possible to power both LEDs and EL wire from the same power source, load permitting.

However, I'd consider keeping them separately powered anyway. That way if one fails, the other still works.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: Can i power LED's with ELwire ?

Post by adafruit_support_bill »

It should be possible to power them all from the same source. Your choice of inverters and LEDs will determine if any voltage boosting or regulation is needed for one or the other.

One thing to consider when mixing LEDs with EL is that is will be very easy for the brightness of the LEDs to dominate the EL. You will probably need to dim and/or diffuse the LEDs to achieve a good balance of brightness.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”