PiTFT - touch suddenly not working

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
rdarwish

PiTFT - touch suddenly not working

Post by rdarwish »

Hello,
I recently resumed a project I started years ago to make a simple alarm clock with a Pi (Original Model B) and a 2.8" PiTFT (with the buttons at the bottom).

I am not sure what is going on, but suddenly, the touch aspect of the screen is not working. And it's not only with this particular pairing; I had another Pi B laying around, as well as a Pi 2 and purchased another brand new Pi 2 and a brand new assembled PiTFT, and keep having the same problem. I had cobbled together the basics of my project, and was doing fine with pygame. I'm able to display images/videos, as well as program to the pitft with python. However, in all of the combinations I have tried, suddenly the touch doesn't work. I have gone through the installation tutorial at least 10 times to see where I missed a step. I'm not really sure where to look anymore.

There are two things going on that I feel are the key to solving this problem:
1) In dmesg, I see this error:

Code: Select all

edt_ft5x06 1-0038: touchscreen probe failed
   edt_ft5x06: probe of 1-0038 failed with error -121

I have searched for hours for this error, but don't see anything related to the pitft that provides a possible cause/solution.

I can load the stmpe-ts module, but it doesn't seem to make any difference. I get no /dev/input/touchscreen or /dev/input/event entries no matter what I try. The display continues to work and my program runs without error if (see below).

2) In my code, if I include the references to the touchscreen that are passed to pygame, I get an error about the video subsystem not being initialized. If I comment out the two lines referring to the touchscreen, the code runs without error. These are the lines that are causing the error (If I comment out the two SDL_MOUSEDRV lines, everything goes fine):

def initializePygame(screenSize):
    os.environ["SDL_FBDEV"] = "/dev/fb1"
    os.environ["SDL_MOUSEDEV"] = "/dev/input/touchscreen"
    os.environ["SDL_MOUSEDRV"] = "TSLIB"

pygame.init()
    pygame.mouse.set_visible(False)
    return pygame.display.set_mode(screenSize)
Prior to all of this happening, I wasn't really using the touchscreen in my program, but I had followed the most basic tutorial, just to make sure it worked, and I had this simple code that just registered touch events:

for event in getEvent():
                    if event.type == TOUCHEVENT:
                        pos = getTouchPosition()
                        print("screen pressed" + str(pos))
This worked.

I really don't know where else to look. I don't believe that it is a soldering issue, as the screen works, and I had the same errors with the brand new pitft that I tried. This same exact issue comes up with two separate Pi 1s and Pi 2s, as well as two separate PiTFTs. I have activated the SPI and I2C interfaces in raspi-config. I had been using the 2013-3-13 image, which was working just fine. Right now, I just used the newest raspbian-lite, and ran the Easy Install script over it, which ran without error. My code will run just fine without the touchscreen lines active in the file.

I had this all working fine for weeks, and I am missing something very stupid and/or small.

I am hoping that someone can help me see what I am doing wrong. I really believe it is a step or setting that I am missing, but I can't see it!

Thanks in advance for any help you can provide.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”