Replace OLED from adafruit sample project

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
richardtam

Replace OLED from adafruit sample project

Post by richardtam »

Hi All, I am interested in making the Eye of Newt (https://learn.adafruit.com/eye-of-newt). But I want to make it as small as possible. According to the tutorial, it uses OLED Breakout Board - 16-bit Color 1.5" (https://www.adafruit.com/product/1431) in the design.

Is it possible to change from 1.5" OLED to OLED Breakout Board - 16-bit Color 0.96" (https://www.adafruit.com/product/684)??

Any input are welcome! Thank you very much!

oesterle

Re: Replace OLED from adafruit sample project

Post by oesterle »

Hi, Richard!

Yes, you can adapt the project to use the OLED Breakout Board - 16-bit Color 0.96" w/microSD holder.

You'll need to change the project code to use the SSD1331 library (vs the original's SSD1351). That's probably just 2 or 3 lines of code. See the tutorial for getting that display up and running.

Note that the 0.96" screen is 96x64 pixels, vs the original's 128x128 pixels. Therefore, the eye graphics may stretch beyond the screen boundaries. If you are alright with this, you may be able to adjust the code to draw the graphics at an offset of -16, -32, to center the eyes in the much smaller display. It's worth a try.

If that doesn't work well enough visually, you could make new, scaled-down versions the current set of eyes in Uncanny_Eyes-master, using the convert/tablegen.py conversion tool provided.

Be sure also to take into account that the 0.96" display is rectangular, vs the square aspect ratio of the original.

Cheers,

Eric

richardtam

Post by richardtam »

Hi Eric,

Thanks for such a helpful reply!! I shall try to make it when the board is in hand.
Get back to you when I made some progress in it!
Thank you so much! :)

Richard

richardtam

Post by richardtam »

Finally, I get it done!!!
I spent much time on the GFX library, SPI protocol, python script and the sample code.
I tried many times to modify the code, adjust the sample images, python script and the library.
It works pretty well! I am very happy with it! :)
Thanks for tutorials and open source code!
Attachments
Electronic Animated Eyes in 0.96" OLED screen (96x64 pixels
Electronic Animated Eyes in 0.96" OLED screen (96x64 pixels
IMG_4076s.jpg (72.62 KiB) Viewed 176 times

uofubiomed

Post by uofubiomed »

Hey richardtam,

would it be possible to explain what you change in the uncanny eye code to get it working with the small 0.96" oled display or maybe share an example file? You mentioned you spent some significant time with gfx library what did you change there?

Thanks a lot :-)

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”