New here. Is there an LED strip that bends well?

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
apalacpac

New here. Is there an LED strip that bends well?

Post by apalacpac »

I want to make a mask like this, but wondering if the LED strips will bend at the corners well enough?

Attachments
btsm.jpg
btsm.jpg (152.07 KiB) Viewed 88 times

oesterle

Re: New here. Is there an LED strip that bends well?

Post by oesterle »

Hi, apalacpac!

While you might get a strip to bend like that, it's not a good idea, and can eventually be a point of failure.

I would cut the strip near the bend, and use three short strands of silicone wire to connect each piece of strip to the next.

I love working with the Silicone Cover Stranded-Core Wire - 2m 26AWG Black. (It's also available in various colors, lengths, and gauges.) A similar technique is used in the Gemma Firewalker Lite Sneakers tutorial.

The Adafruit NeoPixel Überguide section on NeoPixel strips has more good info.

While it can be a little tricky at first to cut up and connect cut strips, I encourage you to try it out, and be persistent. I buy more strip than I need, so in case part of project doesn't light up, I can quickly replace it.

Cheers,

Eric

apalacpac

Post by apalacpac »

Thanks oesterle!

Which LED strips do you think those are? 60 LEDS Per meter?

Franklin97355

Post by Franklin97355 »

That looks about right.

oesterle

Post by oesterle »

60 LED/m is about 1.5 LEDs per inch, or about 17mm (0.66 inch) apart, center-to-center.
144 LED/m is about 3.7 LEDs per inch, or 7mm (0.27 inch) apart, center to center.

To get a good idea of the density, before you buy, try punching holes in black paper along a line, in either density. Place a smartphone with a bright colorful gradient behind the perforations.

These look denser than 60/m to me. However, the 60/m are much easier to cut and solder, and are a good choice if this is your first time working with strips.

I'd suggest building in steps, testing as you cut/solder each segment. That way, you can resolder or replace a finicky segment before the next step: reinforcing the solder joints with hot glue. You'll value making the joints durable, as everyone will want to try on this mask and get a picture, and you'll find yourself reusing the mask at future events.

It would be exciting to see pictures here of your progress!

Happy making!

Cheers,

Eric

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”