Need advice for a high current transistor or relay

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
jasonchildress

Need advice for a high current transistor or relay

Post by jasonchildress »

I have an Arduino project that will run 450 neopixels on multiple, seperate strips and if they all run at full brightness, I’m estimating I’ll need 27+ amps:

60 mA per pixel (max)
450 x 60 mA / 1000 = 27 Amps minimum

I also have the same amount of Dotstars that I can use, but as I understand it they have the same power consumption needs as the Neopixels so I don’t think it matters which of the two I use. I’m using Neopixels because I find them easier then Dotstars. I’m not sure this matters, but I’m using the FastLED library.

I would like the ability to cut power to all of the strips when the project goes idle and was wondering what would be the best way to do this? Should I use a DC relay, a mosfet, NPN? Looking at some NPN options, there are not that many that go as high as 30A and I would like a little buffer to be safe so maybe a 40A rated component would be best.

Because the project involves multiple strips instead of one long one, I can probably use multiple transistors/relays if need be. I will also be moving my project from breadboard to a custom PCB, so I’ll have flexibility in my options.

Does anybody have any recommendations on how I should approach this? I have a 30A, 5V power supply that I’m currently using. It could end up being the final power supply but I have no problem upgrading to something larger if need be.

Additionally, does anybody have thoughts on how I should distribute the power? Should I use fuses? A power distribution bar?

Thanks,
Jason

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”