1200x LED, 3x Fadecandy, 3x Power supplies, 1x Raspberry Pi
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

1200x LED, 3x Fadecandy, 3x Power supplies, 1x Raspberry Pi

by lemonbrook on Sun Feb 10, 2019 7:26 am

Hi All,

I'm designing a large LED installation for a stage show in a high school where strings of LEDs are strung around scaffolding which makes up the set. I've attached a rough diagram of the proposed setup and I was wondering if someone could double check it all makes sense?

The setup involves three re-purposed computer ATX power supplies (all are rated for 40A on the 5V rail), one of which powers a raspberry pi with three fadecandys attached by USB. 8 strings of 50 WS2811 LEDs (400 in total) are attached directly to one fadecandy and are powered by the first power supply, but the other two sets of 400 need to be further away. I'm planning to run these LEDs from two other ATX power supplies and carry data from the fadecandys via cat5 ethernet cable (8 cores, 8 data wires?) - this will probably be 5m or so to a different part of the stage.

Firstly, does this make sense?

Also, I'm aware that normally the fadecandys ground should be shared with the led strips ground. I could achieve this by running a ground cable along with the ethernet cable and connect all the grounds together - what would happen if I didn't do this?

Any input is appreciated,

Thanks!

stageleddiagram.jpg
stageleddiagram.jpg (355.9 KiB) Viewed 37 times

lemonbrook

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.