NeoTrellis M4 Noisy Grains of Sand - trouble
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

NeoTrellis M4 Noisy Grains of Sand - trouble

by fid on Thu Feb 14, 2019 3:34 pm

I copied the code to the NeoTrellis using the .zip file. It wouldn't run on the NeoTrellis. The audio would not play on my MacBook. I looked at the .wav file and found that it was HTML code. I downloaded the .wav file from FreeSound and that plays on my MacBook. The NeoTrellis still doesn't work. I skimmed through the code.py code and didn't see anything with the audio file to play any water-click.wav. I searched for water in code.py and didn't find it either. I went back to the web page https://learn.adafruit.com/NeoTrellisM4Sand/code and searched for 'water'. There are three places that it shows up, but it is not in the code section. It is also not in the GitHub code.py. The water-click.wav on GitHub shows up as a html file.
Was someone able to get this Noisy Grains of Sand to work? If so, can they post the code they used?

fid

Re: NeoTrellis M4 Noisy Grains of Sand - trouble

by MikeBarela on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:23 pm

We are working with the author to review the GitHub repo. Thanks for letting us know and we'll post when this has been corrected. We're sorry for the inconvenience.

MikeBarela

by MikeBarela on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:49 pm

The correct wave file is now available in GitHub, we're still looking at the code, stand by for that

MikeBarela

by MikeBarela on Thu Feb 14, 2019 4:51 pm

Let us know if there is a code issue, rereading your post you don't note that the demo does not work also.

MikeBarela

by fid on Thu Feb 14, 2019 5:19 pm

Thank you!
The code.py does not work. It does not have a place in it where it loads the .wav file. The 'tap' detection and setup is also not in there. Neither of these, also, are on the web page listing of code.py.

Thanks for getting right on this. In the mean time I put the Dungeons and Dragons sounds back onto the NeoTrellis. My kids love this when we are playing.

Greg

fid

by grajohnt on Thu Feb 14, 2019 8:39 pm

Greg,

There were some last minute changes to the code, but it seems to work for me. Did you pull the latest version from github? There was an older version there just yesterday that did not have the tap color modes enabled...

-JohnT

EDIT: Now I see the issue: the code in the article is not correct - I'll fix right away.

grajohnt

by MikeBarela on Fri Feb 15, 2019 5:07 pm

The GitHub code should work now, sorry for the inconvenience

MikeBarela

by fid on Fri Feb 15, 2019 6:18 pm

Greetings,
When I try to get the wave file from GitHub I end up with an HTML file with a .wav extension.
https://github.com/adafruit/Adafruit_Le ... -click.wav
What is the wave file supposed to be in terms of bit samples and Hz? I downloaded the file from FreeSound.
On a whim I decided to use Audacity to convert the sound to mono, 16 bit, 22kHz. The file from FreeSound comes in at 96000kHz 32 bit stereo, or something like that.
Now I have this groovy many colored sand demo with sound. It is all good now.
Thank you for all your help and attention.

Greg

fid

by MikeBarela on Fri Feb 15, 2019 7:17 pm

We're checking again, it's strange as yesterday the file played fine on repost.

The file should be 22,050 Hz, 16-bit PCM audio. We have a conversion guide for audio to microcontrollers at
https://learn.adafruit.com/microcontrol ... conversion

MikeBarela

by grajohnt on Sat Feb 16, 2019 5:02 pm

fid wrote:Now I have this groovy many colored sand demo with sound. It is all good now.

Glad you have it working! There have been some hiccups with the git due to me and lint not seeing eye to eye, and the sound file has been reluctant to behave as well. I think most of the kinks are worked out now. Thank you for your patience!

grajohnt

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.