Tower Light - PID: 2993 - Yellow LED Not Working Properly
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Tower Light - PID: 2993 - Yellow LED Not Working Properly

by puckpuncher3 on Thu Feb 14, 2019 7:50 pm

Hello,

I recently purchased the Tower Light - Red Yellow Green Alert Light with Buzzer - 12VDC PID: 2993.
I am very happy with the product. I was able to connect it to my Arduino using the MOSFET diagram and tutorial you have on the website. Thank you for the detailed instructions.
My only issue is that the yellow LEDs are not working properly. I tested my code and wiring with the other colors and it worked fine with the red and green, but the yellow wouldn’t turn on. I decided to open up the unit and take a look at the LEDs and it looks like they’re on, just not bright. I’m not sure if they’re bad or what, but I was hoping to get some advice from you about what to do.

I have included a picture of what the Yellow LEDs look like when they’re “on”. If you compare it to the Red LEDs on the right, you can see that there is a very dim glow.

Thank you for your help!
Attachments
Red ON.jpg
Red LED on, Yellow LED off
Red ON.jpg (771.07 KiB) Viewed 87 times
Yellow ON.jpg
Yellow LED on
Yellow ON.jpg (507.55 KiB) Viewed 87 times

puckpuncher3

Re: Tower Light - PID: 2993 - Yellow LED Not Working Properl

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Feb 19, 2019 9:19 pm

It sounds like maybe you tried this, but to make sure it's not something with a pin or MOSFET, did you try controlling the yellow channel with one of the pins/MOSFETs that worked OK with one of the other colors.

Another simple way to check - just apply the 12V power directly. Don't worry about code or MOSFETs.

[EDIT] Also noticed this little tidbit on the product page:
We did notice that you can't have both the yellow and red lamps on at once, and in general its best to only have one lamp lit at a time for max brightness.

Could it be related to that?

adafruit_support_carter

by puckpuncher3 on Wed Feb 20, 2019 8:04 pm

It works! I apologize for the inconvenience. I noticed that I was using a 9V power supply. I guess it's enough power for the red, green, and buzzer, but not enough power for the yellow. Thank you for your help.

puckpuncher3

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Feb 21, 2019 1:49 pm

Yeah! Something simple. Glad you got it working.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.