3.5" TFT 320x480 goes blank after a few hours
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

3.5" TFT 320x480 goes blank after a few hours

by femur on Sun Feb 17, 2019 5:23 pm

Hello,

I've been working with the 3.5" TFT 320x480 TFTLCD screen for a few years now and I've consistently run into a problem that I can't seem to solve. After many, or sometimes just a few hours of running a project, the screen will turn gray and no text will show. I've been printing simple text from a photon microcontroller and I've tried replacing everything in the system but I still get the gray screen within 24 hours of running the project. If I restart everything, it will work again but after a period of time, I'm back to the gray screen.

I'm using the SPI hookup, as shown here: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-3-5 ... g-and-test
though I am using 3.3v from a photon.

I am providing more than 1.5 amps from the power supply so I don't think that's an issue. However, I do suspect a power issue. Maybe the vreg on the photon? Ideally, I'd like to run the screen 24/7. This "gray screen" happens even with the "deadbeef" example code.

Any ideas? Thank you!

femur

Re: 3.5" TFT 320x480 goes blank after a few hours

by MRUK on Sat May 11, 2019 4:39 am

I've just spent several hours tracking down a similar problem. In my case it was caused by the APX803 voltage monitor, IC4 randomly resetting the display due to noise spikes on the 3.3V supply.

I soldered a 100nF capacitor across the Vcc and GND pins of IC4 and it cured the problem completely.

MRUK

Re: 3.5" TFT 320x480 goes blank after a few hours

by femur on Sat May 11, 2019 10:55 am

Wow! Thank you MRUK! I'm excited to try this. I've been struggling with this problem for months. I'll let you know my results.

femur

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.