Do analog RGB LEDs and Feather M0 Express play well together

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
onespeedonly

Do analog RGB LEDs and Feather M0 Express play well together

Post by onespeedonly »

Hello good people. My apologies if the answers I’m after are in a previous post but I have searched this forum and am struggling to find a definitive yes or no. I’m new to electronics, am learning as I go, and that little blue smoke dude, Sparky, seems very comfortable on my workbench. If there are answers elsewhere a gentle nudge in that direction would be welcomed.

I am working on a project involving measuring the color of two seperate single RGB LEDs and mimicking their colors on two seperate strings of analog RGB LEDs. Specifically the Adafruit RGB LED weatherproof flexi-strip - 30 LED/m PRODUCT ID: 285. I have a 2meter strip that I will split into two one meter strips.

The project is to take the electronics from a Disney Made With Magic ear hat, use two Adafruit RGB Color Sensor with IR filter and White LED - TCS34725 PRODUCT ID: 1334 to read the color of each ear, and display those colors with the LED strips which will be attached to a backpack for my wife. I have an Adafruit TCA9548A I2C Multiplexer PRODUCT ID: 2717 to handle addressing both TCS34725 color sensors.

I planned to handle the logic with an Adafruit Feather M0 Express - Designed for CircuitPython - ATSAMD21 Cortex M0 PRODUCT ID: 3403 powered with a 3.7v lipo battery, and power the LEDs separately with an 8xAA battery pack. Will I be ok with this setup or will I get into trouble with too low a signal voltage from the Feather into the 12v LEDs?

Thank you in advance for any advice you can provide.

Regards,

Daniel

adafruit_support_carter

Re: Do analog RGB LEDs and Feather M0 Express play well toge

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

In general, this should work. The one key item you are not mentioning is a power transistor. Actually 3, one for each color channel. This is mentioned briefly on the product page:
Use any NPN or N-channel MOSFET (although the big powerful kind is good for a large strip) and PWM the inputs for color-mixing.
For more details about how to actually wire it all up, check out the guide:
https://learn.adafruit.com/rgb-led-strips/overview
And then you can control the transistors with the Feather in the same manner as the guide shows for an Arduino UNO.

This guide might also be useful:
https://learn.adafruit.com/pulse-room/overview

onespeedonly

Re: Do analog RGB LEDs and Feather M0 Express play well toge

Post by onespeedonly »

Thank you adafruit_support_carter! I did forget to mention the MOSFETs. I do already have them. Thank you too for the links. I had seen the pulse room one before but had forgotten about it.

Thank you again,

Daniel

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”