NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

EL Wire/Tape/Panels, LEDs, pixels and strips, LCDs and TFTs, etc products from Adafruit

Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.
Ashton19

NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

Post by Ashton19 »

I purchased NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring but only the first board of led is working, the other 3 board is not working. But when I test them individually all 4 board is okay.
I used RGBWstrandtest from the library. Power supply and soldering joints are okay too.

I connect 3 DIN-DOUT, Left one DIN-DOUT Open. This DIN pin is connected to Arduino D6

I am wondering what I am doing wrong?
1.JPG
1.JPG (266.77 KiB) Viewed 164 times
2.JPG
2.JPG (214.91 KiB) Viewed 164 times
5.JPG
5.JPG (203.74 KiB) Viewed 164 times

kcl1s

Re: NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

Post by kcl1s »

To rule out the obvious you did increase the NUMPIXELS to 60 in your code? Other than that with all sections testing good, it has to be a connection issue. Maybe re-flow all the solder joints. Test all the segment connections for continuity. Make sure the broken signal connection foil pads are not touching.

Fellow hobbyist
Keith

Ashton19

Post by Ashton19 »

kcl1s wrote:To rule out the obvious you did increase the NUMPIXELS to 60 in your code? Other than that with all sections testing good, it has to be a connection issue. Maybe re-flow all the solder joints. Test all the segment connections for continuity. Make sure the broken signal connection foil pads are not touching.

Fellow hobbyist
Keith

Yes, I changed to 60. Soldered and desoldered the connection a couple of times, Individually every board is working.

kcl1s

Post by kcl1s »

What happens if you move the signal temporarily around to the next segment?

Keith

adafruit_support_carter

Post by adafruit_support_carter »

Individually every board is working.
Can you clarify what this means? Are you doing as suggested above and connecting directly to each segment?

Ashton19

Post by Ashton19 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:
Individually every board is working.
Can you clarify what this means? Are you doing as suggested above and connecting directly to each segment?
When I connect each PCB individually after desoldering. each one worked. But when I solder them together only first PCB lit up.

adafruit_support_carter

Is this your starting point for the ring? For where you hook up the input wires. And the connection circled is not soldered?
ring.jpg
ring.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 125 times

Ashton19

Post by Ashton19 »

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Is this your starting point for the ring? For where you hook up the input wires. And the connection circled is not soldered?
ring.jpg
Yes, This is my starting point. I left it disconnected. I connect L shaped pin-header in DIN from which I use a jumper wire to Arduino.

adafruit_support_carter

Your other photo of your segment-to-segment solder connection looks OK. Is that the current state of the solder connection at the first segment junction?

Also, post your complete code. Let's double check it's not something simple like the number of pixels, even though you mention changing that.

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Return to “Glowy things (LCD, LED, TFT, EL) purchased at Adafruit”