0

NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

by Ashton19 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:56 am

I purchased NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring but only the first board of led is working, the other 3 board is not working. But when I test them individually all 4 board is okay.
I used RGBWstrandtest from the library. Power supply and soldering joints are okay too.

I connect 3 DIN-DOUT, Left one DIN-DOUT Open. This DIN pin is connected to Arduino D6

I am wondering what I am doing wrong?

1.JPG
1.JPG (266.77 KiB) Viewed 78 times

2.JPG
2.JPG (214.91 KiB) Viewed 78 times

5.JPG
5.JPG (203.74 KiB) Viewed 78 times

Ashton19
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:34 am

Re: NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

by kcl1s on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:24 am

To rule out the obvious you did increase the NUMPIXELS to 60 in your code? Other than that with all sections testing good, it has to be a connection issue. Maybe re-flow all the solder joints. Test all the segment connections for continuity. Make sure the broken signal connection foil pads are not touching.

Fellow hobbyist
Keith

kcl1s
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Re: NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

by Ashton19 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:32 am

kcl1s wrote:To rule out the obvious you did increase the NUMPIXELS to 60 in your code? Other than that with all sections testing good, it has to be a connection issue. Maybe re-flow all the solder joints. Test all the segment connections for continuity. Make sure the broken signal connection foil pads are not touching.

Fellow hobbyist
Keith



Yes, I changed to 60. Soldered and desoldered the connection a couple of times, Individually every board is working.

Ashton19
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:34 am

Re: NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

by kcl1s on Thu Jun 13, 2019 9:37 am

What happens if you move the signal temporarily around to the next segment?

Keith

kcl1s
 
Posts: 1176
Joined: Tue Aug 30, 2016 12:06 pm

Re: NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:07 pm

Individually every board is working.

Can you clarify what this means? Are you doing as suggested above and connecting directly to each segment?

adafruit_support_carter
 
Posts: 11467
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:45 pm

Re: NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

by Ashton19 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 1:53 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:
Individually every board is working.

Can you clarify what this means? Are you doing as suggested above and connecting directly to each segment?


When I connect each PCB individually after desoldering. each one worked. But when I solder them together only first PCB lit up.

Ashton19
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:34 am

Re: NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:05 pm

Is this your starting point for the ring? For where you hook up the input wires. And the connection circled is not soldered?
ring.jpg
ring.jpg (54.92 KiB) Viewed 39 times

adafruit_support_carter
 
Posts: 11467
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:45 pm

Re: NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

by Ashton19 on Thu Jun 13, 2019 2:48 pm

adafruit_support_carter wrote:Is this your starting point for the ring? For where you hook up the input wires. And the connection circled is not soldered?
ring.jpg


Yes, This is my starting point. I left it disconnected. I connect L shaped pin-header in DIN from which I use a jumper wire to Arduino.

Ashton19
 
Posts: 4
Joined: Thu Jun 13, 2019 7:34 am

Re: NeoPixel 1/4 60 Ring Problem

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Jun 13, 2019 3:17 pm

Your other photo of your segment-to-segment solder connection looks OK. Is that the current state of the solder connection at the first segment junction?

Also, post your complete code. Let's double check it's not something simple like the number of pixels, even though you mention changing that.

adafruit_support_carter
 
Posts: 11467
Joined: Tue Nov 29, 2016 2:45 pm

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.