DOA - 2.2" Adafruit TFT Screen
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

DOA - 2.2" Adafruit TFT Screen

by beaconmedia on Mon Jul 15, 2019 1:20 pm

I ordered 2 Adafruit 2.2" screens. One of them works perfectly as intended, but the other one doesn't. It just shows a white screen and won't display anything. I checked the solder joints, everything is fine and the second screen confirms that there is no issue with my circuit. Can I setup a return to swap it out?

beaconmedia

Re: DOA - 2.2" Adafruit TFT Screen

by adafruit_support_carter on Mon Jul 15, 2019 2:11 pm

Can you post a photo of the problematic display showing how everything is connected.

adafruit_support_carter

by beaconmedia on Wed Aug 21, 2019 4:28 pm

Not really. It's mounted directly onto a PCB carrier that I designed for it. It works perfectly on 3 other screens that I have (same model). I know it's a broken screen, not a problem with the wiring. Can you please just take this unit back or refund me?

Thanks
Kris

beaconmedia

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Aug 22, 2019 1:05 pm

Did you test the screen prior to installing in your custom hardware?

adafruit_support_carter

by beaconmedia on Fri Sep 20, 2019 12:36 am

Yes. It is not 'installed' or soldered in any hardware, it's just press in headers when I put it in a header that I know works (because the other same screens work fine it) it just shows white.

I have to say, I love Adafruit but come on guys, this forum style setup to handle a return is ridiculous. It's hard to justify buying things from you guys when your competitors have the easiest return policies in the world. I understand that 1-2% of the population will abuse the return policy but overall I think it would serve you guys well. Hope you can consider this or pass this along to someone who might be able to.

beaconmedia

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:24 pm

How do we know it's not something with your custom hardware? Even if other copies work as expected. We don't know anything about this "PCB carrier" that you are using. And without photos, we know even less.

It's mounted directly onto a PCB carrier

It is not 'installed' or soldered in any hardware,

Which is it?

You say you tested it prior to installing in your custom hardware. How did you do that test? Can you backup and set it up and test it per the guide?
https://learn.adafruit.com/2-2-tft-display

What board are you using to drive the display?

What language are you programming in?

adafruit_support_carter

by beaconmedia on Fri Sep 20, 2019 2:49 pm

I have desoldered the screen from the carrier board now so I could double check that it was an issue with the screen.

I don't know how I can spell this out any clearer. This is the exact setup I have....

I have a Teensy 3.2 device that has a couple sensors, a rotary encoder and the 0.1" 1 x 10 header that accepts the screen. I have ordered several screens from you guys. When I plug in 3 of the screens, they work perfectly, no issue. When I plug in the DOA screen, it JUST SHOWS A WHITE SCREEN.

Then I take that DOA screen out, put in one of the other 3 screens and Bingo, they ALL work. My PCB design is attached.

So I guess my next question is this... if you guys refuse to think this is damaged, please tell me WHY the three other screens I have (same model) work perfectly in the circuit and this one screen does not.
Attachments
Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 11.42.15 AM.png
Screen Shot 2019-09-20 at 11.42.15 AM.png (47.1 KiB) Viewed 58 times

beaconmedia

by adafruit2 on Fri Sep 20, 2019 3:37 pm

we do the same tests on the screens before we ship so we want to rule out a customer soldering issue, which is often the root cause of failure issues - it helps if we can see the board's soldering because we can often spot cold solder joints! what we want to avoid is sending a replacement which then has the same failre, because the root cause hasn't been addressed. can you take a photo of the header/wire soldering?

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.