144 Addressable LED
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

144 Addressable LED

by spencerv on Thu Aug 15, 2019 10:40 pm

Hi Im new to electronics, I purchased the 1 meter addressable LED strips and I having an issue connecting them to my Arduino board. My second issue is locating the sketch for fast LED. My confusion arises from the sketch: should I be using Python? I have had the LED connected in the past and cant find the connection diagram. The one that's listed online shows a resistor inline with the data on the LED strip or am I reading it incorrect?

Thanks in advance for your assistance

spencerv

Re: 144 Addressable LED

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 16, 2019 5:54 am

I purchased the 1 meter addressable LED strip

There are a lot of products which fit that description. The wiring and coding details depend on the type of addressable chips used on the strip. Please post a link to the specific strip you have purchased.

adafruit_support_bill

by spencerv on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:16 am

Adafruit NeoPixel Digital RGB LED Strip 144 LED - 1m Black - BLACK
PRODUCT ID: 1506
Im using and external power supply along with the Ardunio Uno

spencerv

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:24 am

Neopixel connections and coding are covered in this guide: https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... onnections
You will also find links there to the library and example code.

The resistor on the signal wire is recommended if your signal wire is long. If you keep it under a foot or so, there is no need for the resistor.

If you want to program in Python, you need to use a processor that is capable of supporting Python. Some examples are our Metro M0 Express or the CircuitPlayground Express.
Most common Arduino boards are not capable of running Python.

adafruit_support_bill

by XRAD on Sat Aug 17, 2019 10:34 am

FastLED works great w/arduino programmer and Uno. I have used it on many projects. you would need additional code (helpers) to use FastLED with python, as well as appropriate processor.

check out the 'example' sketches in the github folder for some of the things you can do. Both FastLED and Adafruit neopixel code offers many cool visuals, but FastLED has a few extras which may be what you need. There are many code examples for both, but probably more choices with FastLED.

as someone 'new to electronics,' you may first want to read about the arduino programmer using the Adafruit guides for loading the IDE and boards as well as the ada-guides for python. There are usually a few minor challenges to get the programs up and running. Then it becomes really fun! Depends on your needs....

https://github.com/FastLED/FastLED

XRAD

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.