Use the same power supply for a NeoPixel ring and an arduino
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Use the same power supply for a NeoPixel ring and an arduino

by thierryo on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:05 am

My plan it is to control a 24 pixel ring with an Arduino nano. The 5V output of the arduino is not strong enough for the pixel ring. So I'll need an external power source for that. I'll go for a 5V AC to DC mains power supply.

The arduino will work stand-only so no power from a connected computer. Can I power the arduino with the same 5V AC to DC mains power supply as the pixel ring? https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... onnections seems to state that you can't/shouldn't. Is my interpretation correct. And if so why is that?

thierryo

Re: Use the same power supply for a NeoPixel ring and an ard

by XRAD on Fri Aug 16, 2019 8:15 am

I have run nano's and uno's and many neopixels off same 5v (DC) supply without issue. Just make sure you have enough current to supply your neopixel needs

do not use the controller board 5v out to supply power to more than a few neopixels ... In your case, run a parallel 5v from power source.

What the description is telling you is that 'IF' you have separate power supplies to controller and neopixels, in order for the neopixels to work, you have to have a common ground. Same with pixies.....

XRAD

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 16, 2019 9:18 am

It is fine to use the same power supply for the pixels and the Arduino. But the best way to do it is to run the power and ground directly to the pixels. Then run power and ground from the pixels back to the Arduino.

adafruit_support_bill

by thierryo on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:37 am

Thank for the feedback. If I understand it correctly, the best way should be something like this schema: https://www.tinkercad.com/things/0p0hVVPdgmG

thierryo

by adafruit_support_bill on Fri Aug 16, 2019 10:45 am

Yes. That looks good.

adafruit_support_bill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.