10.1" Display 1280x800 IPS (1694) not powering up
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

10.1" Display 1280x800 IPS (1694) not powering up

by asmagill on Mon Aug 19, 2019 4:22 am

Just received this display and it seems to almost always halt somewhere during the power up phase. I was able to get it to display the computer's output once, after unplugging everything and re-seating all of the connections, but as soon as I unplugged and re-plugged in the power to the display again, it went back to its initial behavior.

Except for the one time I mentioned above, when I plug power into the main board, the keypad's light will glow a dull green (but not as bright as it did the one time it worked) but the backlight for the display never comes on. Pressing the power button on the keypad does nothing (I did test that the one time the display did work, and pressing it would turn the display (and the led) off and then both back on again, so I know that pressing it should elicit some change in behavior)

I have tried reseating the cables multiple additional times with no change.

I have tried three different power supplies -- a 12v 3A that I had unused, one of your 12v 1A (part 798) supplies I borrowed from another project of mine, and a variable bench power supply set to 12v (which happened to be the one connected the one time it worked). When the board doesn't work, the bench power supply tells me that the device is drawing a steady 0.02A -- I didn't think to note what it was pulling the one time it did work, but I recall it fluctuating a little and being higher.

I have tried multiple HDMI cables (that work with other computers and monitors).

I have tried two different Raspberry Pi models that work fine with other displays attached (with and without the `config.txt` changes specified for 1694 in the HDMI guide in your learning guides)

If I've missed anything that you need or that I should try, please let me know because I would like to get this fixed or replaced since from what I can tell, it seems to be a defective unit.

Thank you for your time.

asmagill

Re: 10.1" Display 1280x800 IPS (1694) not powering up

by adafruit_support_carter on Fri Aug 23, 2019 5:41 pm

Sounds like you've tested most of the obvious things. Can you describe what the "initial behavior" is a little better. Is is just totally blank / no signs of life? Or does it try to show something? Not sure what you mean by "halting".

adafruit_support_carter

by asmagill on Fri Aug 23, 2019 6:31 pm

By "initial behavior" I mean, not working, which is what I saw the first time before I tried reseating everything -- the led on the keypad does glow a subdued green, but the backlight to the LCD never turns on and pressing the power button on the keypad does nothing -- the led's state never changes. If any image actually makes it to the LCD, I can't see it because the backlight never turns on.

The one time the unit did bring up a picture, pressing the power button changed the led's state in sync with power to the LCD's backlight.

As to "halting", I am assuming that the controller board has a firmware that it executes when power is applied... if it completed its startup process, then things like the keypad would function properly, even if the inverter, backlight, or LCD were bad. Since the LED never reaches full brightness and pressing the power button on the keypad doesn't seem to cause any changes, it appears to me as if this startup process never completes (halts).

Other than the one time (which was probably the third or fourth time I tried plugging everything back in) that it worked, I have never seen any flicker on the LCD when power has been applied and the led on the keypad remains a constant subdued green.

Right now everything is boxed back up (I figured that was better than leaving it plugged in while it wasn't working, in case having the electronics in an unknown state potentially damaged more things on the board or LCD) but I could put it back together fairly quickly and add a picture, if that will help.

asmagill

by asmagill on Mon Aug 26, 2019 5:56 pm

Now that we're past the weekend, is there anything else you'd like me to try or provide? I'd like to get this resolved and a replacement on its way, if there is nothing else for me to try first.

asmagill

by adafruit_support_carter on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:29 am

Yep, let's just replace it. You can email support@adafruit.com with a link to this thread and your order number and they can send you a replacement display. Sorry that one arrived like that.

adafruit_support_carter

by asmagill on Tue Aug 27, 2019 11:44 am

Thanks! I have done so.

asmagill

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.