LED Strip Anti-Spiker
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LED Strip Anti-Spiker

by DJDevon3 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 12:37 am

After reading the Adafruit Neopixel Uberguide multiple times over the past year whenever I look up LED strip projects, it always occurred to me that wiring an in-line resistor and throwing a large capacitor across a barrel plug was kind of a bodge. So I created my own PCB to fulfill the requirements of the guide that can be embedded in a project box along with the barrel plug, buck converter (optional but I do use one), and the microcontroller (Uno, Metro, etc..).

This is something you could sell along with your Neopixels. Instead of a warning you could point people to an Adafruit anti-spiker product. ;)
https://easyeda.com/DJDevon3/LED_Strip_Anti-Spiker
Attachments
Adafruit NeoPixel Uberguide Warning.JPG
If it's necessary with big red warnings shouldn't there be a product for that?
Adafruit NeoPixel Uberguide Warning.JPG (103.39 KiB) Viewed 56 times
LED_Strip_Anti-Spiker_3DFront.JPG
Uses 3-pin SMT screw terminals. Modular, can be cut along dotted line for individual use or in a multi-strip array.
LED_Strip_Anti-Spiker_3DFront.JPG (68.72 KiB) Viewed 56 times

DJDevon3

Re: LED Strip Anti-Spiker

by adafruit_support_bill on Wed Aug 21, 2019 6:17 am

You might want to have another look at this part of the "Best Practices" page:
https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-neo ... -practices
Place a 300 to 500 Ohm resistor between the Arduino data output pin and the input to the first NeoPixel. The resistor should be at the end of the wire closest to the NeoPixel(s), not the microcontroller. Some products already incorporate this resistor…if you’re not sure, add one…there’s no harm in doubling up!

The resistor serves as a termination resistor to minimize ringing on the signal line. It is not very effective in that role if it is installed at the processor end of the wire. It should be installed as close to the first pixel connection as possible.

adafruit_support_bill

Re: LED Strip Anti-Spiker

by DJDevon3 on Wed Aug 21, 2019 3:37 pm

The wires would be screwed into the terminal blocks on the board. The first pixel would only be a few inches from the board.

DJDevon3

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.