LED "Wall" Help
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LED "Wall" Help

by jkaya on Sun Aug 25, 2019 5:25 am

Hey Everyone

I'm new to the community, so please be kind. :-)
I'm planning to build a neat "LED" Wall in my office to display data (Texts etc.), animations etc. on this screen.
When researching I've stumbled upon the pretty dense 64x64 Led Matrix Component https://www.adafruit.com/product/3649
    I'd like to build a screen that has an AR of 16:9
    I'd like to daisy chain as much of the screens together as possible
    I'd like to use a Raspberry Pi (but if there are performance issues, I can use a stronger computer though
My questions:
    How many of these LED matrices can I chain together?
    What would be the complete setup I'd need to run the whole screen (incl. Raspberry Pi and Power Supplies etc.)?

Thank you very much for your responses!

Best
Jakob

jkaya

Re: LED "Wall" Help

by adafruit_support_mike on Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:27 pm

The code that runs on a RasPi can run three rows of 12 matrices. A 5x3 array will give you an aspect ratio of 1.67, which is only a little lower than the 16:9 ratio of 1.78. You can get a true 16:9 by leaving 12 rows of LEDs blank (6 at the top, 6 at the bottom).

A RasPi should be able to handle that many panels without too much trouble.

Your main issue will be power.. each 64x64 panel has a worst-case current load of about 8A, so 15 panels could draw as much as 120A @ 5V. That would be the load for turning on every LED in the array, but is something to keep in mind if you were thinking about using a white background for anything.

In practice, there are lots of ways to use much less than the worst-case current.. using a black background (most of the LEDs off) helps a lot, and lowering the maximum brightness to a 50% duty cycle (the human eye can barely see the difference) are two of the biggest ways to save power.

Even so, the amount of power won’t be trivial, so you’ll need to do some work on the power system. First, it would be a good idea to check with your building’s facilities department to make sure your can get the necessary power to your office. Assuming that’s okay, you’ll probably want to find a local sign shop that does LED displays and ask for their advice about the power. They’ll know the equipment and local codes relevant to your area.

adafruit_support_mike

by XRAD on Sun Aug 25, 2019 3:32 pm

what size 'wall' do you plan on building?

XRAD

by jkaya on Mon Aug 26, 2019 2:39 am

Hello XRAD

Thank you for replying!
The wall has a width of 3 meters. How high the screen should be is not really important, I make that a little bit dependent on the conditions. But I would like to use the whole width. Sure, if we aim at 16:9, that would be 168.75 CM height. What would you suggest?

Best
Jakob

jkaya

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.