How To Mount A Chain of 32x16 LED Displays (screw size?)
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

How To Mount A Chain of 32x16 LED Displays (screw size?)

by owntheweb on Tue Sep 03, 2019 9:19 am

Hello Gurus,

I’ve been having some luck developing an app for a set of three 32x16 LED displays purchasable at:
https://www.adafruit.com/product/420

Now I need to mount these together so that I can put up a fancy display in my office cube. :)

Does anyone know the screw sizes for these displays I should use? Anyone have an example of how they mounted a set of these?

I’m thinking about expanding this 3D print design somehow:
(will update once I find link)

Something like a couple of bars to mount to may work as well. However, I’ve tried this some years ago (similar half-baked project, different language) and purchased the wrong sized bars, screws, etc. I have no memory of what was purchased. Let’s try this again. :D

Thanks in advance for taking a look!

EDIT: I found what I ordered. I think the screws didn’t fit in the bar and/or the screws didn’t fit to the LED panels. While ordered through Adafruit, keep in mind that parts didn’t fit due to my own lack of research (may have worked for another board). I’ll need to reorder as the previous parts were donated I think.

Slotted Aluminum Extrusion - 20mm x 20mm - 610mm long PID: 1221

Aluminum Extrusion Slim T-Nut for 20x20 - M4 Thread - pack of 50 PID: 1157

Button Hex Machine Screw - M4 thread - 10mm long - pack of 50 PID: 1159

Aluminum Extrusion Oval T-Nut for 20x20 - M4 Thread - pack of 50 PID: 1158

owntheweb

Re: How To Mount A Chain of 32x16 LED Displays (screw size?)

by XRAD on Tue Sep 03, 2019 11:00 am

did you try M3 screws?

XRAD

by owntheweb on Wed Sep 04, 2019 12:28 pm

I have not! It’s worth a try.

owntheweb

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:15 am

When in doubt, you can make a quick & dirty impression of a thread by winding in a chopstick or other dowel about the right size.

You only need two or three turns.. keep the depth of insertion below the diameter of the hole to avoid having the dowel break and create a new problem.. but the result will be good enough to test-fit at the hardware store.

Fun fact: due to the way screws and bolts stretch under load, almost all of the clamping force is applied by the first three turns of engagement. Any thread beyond that is just along for the ride.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.