Replacement Parts?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Replacement Parts?

by Hallows_Keeper on Wed Sep 04, 2019 10:55 pm

I have recently purchased the Neopixel Ring - 24 x 5050 RGB LED, I ordered the ring on August 5, and have kept it in a safe place until now when I was finally able to work on it. I believe I have received it damaged. The ring only lights up about 19 pixels, then will light up the rest of the way if pressure is applied to the first unlit LED. My order confirmation number is 2110239-0148729384.
This image is before pressure is added:
IMG_1752.JPG
Image before pressure is applied to the ring
IMG_1752.JPG (701.08 KiB) Viewed 38 times

This image is after pressure is applied. As you can see, the board does light up, but there is a loose connection somewhere inside the board.
IMG_1753.JPG
Image after pressure is applied
IMG_1753.JPG (609.78 KiB) Viewed 38 times

I am requesting a replacement ring as it seems to have been delivered to me damaged.

Hallows_Keeper

Re: Replacement Parts?

by adafruit_support_mike on Thu Sep 05, 2019 3:21 am

You just got in ahead of our 30-day limit for returns and replacements. ;-)

From your description, it does sound like there's a marginal solder joint on the first unlit pixel. You can try to reheat the joints with a fine-tip soldering iron and a bit of extra solder if you're comfortable working in closed spaces.

It does count as a production defect though, so I can authorize a replacement. Send a note containing a link to this page and your order number to support@adafruit.com. The folks there will get you another NeoPixel Ring.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.