Neopixel Jewel-- can I do this hardware hack?
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Neopixel Jewel-- can I do this hardware hack?

by clydgate on Fri Sep 06, 2019 3:34 pm

Greetings-- I'm very excited to get my Neopixel Jewel - 7 in the mail. I'm building a Dalek and the jewel is destined to live inside the barrel of the Dalek's gun and flash excitedly when appropriate buttons are pressed. The barrel also houses a small length of plastic tubing for squirting water at unsuspecting mortals.

QUESTION: can I drill through the center of the Jewel (destroying the central neopixel) in order to accommodate the tube? Will this ruin the entire component?

Many thanks for your wise counsel!

clydgate

Re: Neopixel Jewel-- can I do this hardware hack?

by millercommamatt on Fri Sep 06, 2019 4:38 pm

The digital signal passes through the pixels so I imagine drilling through the center pixel - the first in the series - would kill the lot.

May you can snake your tube through one of the mounting holes? You could get away with a little enlarging of a hole if you're careful.

millercommamatt

by clydgate on Fri Sep 06, 2019 5:15 pm

Good suggestion, I didn't think of that. As I look at it, tho, I don't think there's space in the mounting hole for the tube, even with careful enlargement. What about drilling out the *last* pixel in the series? (and if that would work, how would i figure out which it is?)

clydgate

by adafruit_support_mike on Fri Sep 06, 2019 11:21 pm

millercommamatt wrote:I imagine drilling through the center pixel - the first in the series - would kill the lot.

That's correct.

clydgate wrote:What about drilling out the *last* pixel in the series? (and if that would work, how would i figure out which it is?)

That should work.

On the back of the Jewel, there are five traces that carry data signals from one pixel to another. The last pixel has no such trace, and sits above the silkscreen label "Data Out". You can confirm it by checking conductivity from the solder joints around the pixel to the Jewel's "Out" connection.

adafruit_support_mike

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.