LED holder for 5mm neopixels
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LED holder for 5mm neopixels

by timcode on Sat Sep 07, 2019 12:56 am

Hi -- I'd like to mount some 5mm diffused neopixels on a metal panel, and am looking at the narrow chrome LED holder. The plastic plug looks like it only has holes for a standard 2-lead LED. Will the neopixel stay in place without the plug (I expect not). Can I make it stay in place with hot glue? Or do I need to buy a 5mm drill bit for my panel (and then hold it in place with hot glue). What do you recommend?

Thanks!

timcode

Re: LED holder for 5mm neopixels

by adafruit_support_mike on Sat Sep 07, 2019 11:45 am

Yeah, you’ll need to drill out the insert to make room for the NeoPixel leads.

You can probably expand the existing holes with a small drill, and leave enough material to seat the NeoPixel.

adafruit_support_mike

Re: LED holder for 5mm neopixels

by jps2000 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 3:48 am

I like to use an acrylic rod as a light guide. There are 3,4,5,6 mm clear round materials easily available.
You have to cut it to appropriate lenght and then use sand paper with diminishing grains to get a scratch less surface at both ends. Finally you polish it with (white) tooth paste on a piece of cotton fabric.
The visible end you may leave frosted.
Then you can glue the optical wave guide in a drilled hole on the panel and mount the led close to the other end.
Lengths up to 5 cm should be no problem.
Such a construction is very cheap, water proof and protects from electrostatic discharge damage.

jps2000

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.