LCD Display for an art project
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LCD Display for an art project

by matthewkphx on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:33 pm

Background
I teach an high school animation class and I have some students interested in creating projects using small displays that will be packaged in a lasercut/3D printed enclosure.

The final result will have to be battery powered.

The animations will be created using Adobe AfterEffects and can be output in any format/codec.

We don’t need touch sensitive displays for our current project. I wouldn’t mind having that capability for future growth but it’s not needed now if it saves money or helps us gain battery life.

Questions
1) I’m pretty sure the best way to do this is with a Raspberry Pi. Is that correct?
2)Any suggestions for particular displays? Image quality should be good to excellent. We might do some small ones and some larger displays.

Thanks in advance for any help or suggestions!

matthewkphx

Re: LCD Display for an art project

by franklin97355 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 2:40 pm

Can you give us the size of the display you want and the size of the enclosure you plan to use?

franklin97355

by matthewkphx on Sun Sep 08, 2019 4:50 pm

Hi Franklin. Thanks for your response.

The project is still in the design phase so I can’t get specific yet. I was thinking of using Raspberry Pi’s 7” Touch Display which runs at 800x480px iirc.

We are invisioning the Raspberry Pi (or should I use something else) would get packaged in a printed enclosure with with a lasercut plywood face with a USB battery pack. The plywood face would have “holes” that the animation is seen through.

Size is flexible and the concept is developing. The overall installation will be comprised of 4-10 pieces so I’d like to keep the costs reasonable because of budgetary concerns. We might use smaller displays for some of the pieces?

I’m trying to get more general information right now:

Is this even “doable”?

Is the Raspberry Pi what I want to use to drive this?

I’m not familiar with TFT, IPS and the other acronyms. I’ve been reading about them but I’ve not specified electronic parts before! Any general guidance would be really helpful! Again, cost, image quality and battery life are all priorities.

matthewkphx

by franklin97355 on Sun Sep 08, 2019 5:41 pm

It seems do-able and the Pi is a good choice if you want video.

franklin97355

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.