64x64 LED Matrix w/ adafruit bonnet - black bars
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

64x64 LED Matrix w/ adafruit bonnet - black bars

by noobmaster69 on Sat Sep 14, 2019 9:20 am

Hey guys,

I just bought the 64x64 LED matrix and the adafruit bonnet recently and followed the instructions to assemble them appropriately. I am running into the issue where when I am running it in 64x64 mode large black bars will appear alongside 2 large blue bars. Included are the images of my setup and the display. I have done the E line from 8 to E, I have soldered the connection from 4 to 18 and tried a variety of options from the library owners github. Any help would be appreciated and would like to rule out if its the bonnet board itself.

https://imgur.com/a/kXnbrOB

noobmaster69

Re: 64x64 LED Matrix w/ adafruit bonnet - black bars

by mikeysklar on Sun Sep 15, 2019 7:25 pm

Hello noobmaster69,

Thank you for the detailed summary.

Can you answer a few questions for me.

The 5V power supply you are using to power the bonnet how many amps is it?

Could you provide photos of the following:

* picture of the 64x64 display with lines
* E line <--> pin 8 ( non Adafruit 64x64 display can require an E <--> 16 instead)

I see the quality jumper is in place. GPIO4 <--> GPIO18 . It might be worth going over that with a little more solder as it looks like a cold joint.

What are the command you arguments you are running the demo with?

Are you interfacing to any other 1-wire devices?

mikeysklar

by noobmaster69 on Mon Sep 16, 2019 11:12 pm

mikeysklar wrote:Hello noobmaster69,

Thank you for the detailed summary.

Can you answer a few questions for me.

The 5V power supply you are using to power the bonnet how many amps is it?

Could you provide photos of the following:

* picture of the 64x64 display with lines
* E line <--> pin 8 ( non Adafruit 64x64 display can require an E <--> 16 instead)

I see the quality jumper is in place. GPIO4 <--> GPIO18 . It might be worth going over that with a little more solder as it looks like a cold joint.

What are the command you arguments you are running the demo with?

Are you interfacing to any other 1-wire devices?

Hey mikey,

the imgur link I included in the original post includes all those pictures. Last picture includes the rotating square from demo 0 with the black bars and pictures above it show my soldering on E to 8 for the adafruit 64x64 led matrix. I am using the recommended 4amp power supply from the adafruit list for this display. I have tried running

sudo ./demo -D0 --led-gpio-mapping='adafruit-hat' --led-cols=64 --led-rows=64

and variety of multiplexing and addressing commands, none have worked. I am not interfacing with any 1-wire devices.

noobmaster69

by mikeysklar on Tue Sep 17, 2019 6:26 pm

Thank you for clarifying that the other images had been provided with your imgur upload. Scrolling down I see those now. I would recommend going over the jumper solder points (GPIO 4 / GPIO 18) as they did not flow well.

The 4A power supply is a little light for 64x64 display. The 32x32 can draw up to 3.85A and the 64x64 can draw up to 7.68A so you will want to be using a 5V @ 10A power supply with this device.

Maybe try passing a brightness argument of 10% to lower power draw since you will be over what your power supply can deliver.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
--led-brightness=<percent>

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb ... pi/pinouts

Each matrix has 64 pixels (16x32 or 32x32 panels) or 128 pixels (for the 32x64 panels) lit at one time. Each pixel can draw up to 0.06 Amps each if on full white. The total max per panel is thus 64 * 0.06 = 3.95 Amps or 128 * 0.06 = 7.68 Amps

https://www.adafruit.com/product/658

Looking through the Troubleshooting guide:

https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix

make sure sound is off.

Switch off on-board sound (dtparam=audio=off in /boot/config.txt). External USB sound adapters work, and are much better quality anyway, so that is recommended if you happen to need sound. The on-board sound uses a timing circuit that the RGB-Matrix needs (it seems in some distributions, such as arch-linux, this is not enough and you need to explicitly blacklist the snd_bcm2835 module).

make sure 1-wire is turned off.

I have also seen reports that on some Pis, the one-wire protocol is enabled (w1-gpio). This will also not work (disable by removing dtoverlay=w1-gpio in /boot/config.txt; or using raspi-config, Interface Options -> 1-Wire)

mikeysklar

by noobmaster69 on Wed Sep 18, 2019 9:22 pm

mikeysklar wrote:Thank you for clarifying that the other images had been provided with your imgur upload. Scrolling down I see those now. I would recommend going over the jumper solder points (GPIO 4 / GPIO 18) as they did not flow well.

The 4A power supply is a little light for 64x64 display. The 32x32 can draw up to 3.85A and the 64x64 can draw up to 7.68A so you will want to be using a 5V @ 10A power supply with this device.

Maybe try passing a brightness argument of 10% to lower power draw since you will be over what your power supply can deliver.

Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
--led-brightness=<percent>

https://learn.adafruit.com/adafruit-rgb ... pi/pinouts

Each matrix has 64 pixels (16x32 or 32x32 panels) or 128 pixels (for the 32x64 panels) lit at one time. Each pixel can draw up to 0.06 Amps each if on full white. The total max per panel is thus 64 * 0.06 = 3.95 Amps or 128 * 0.06 = 7.68 Amps

https://www.adafruit.com/product/658

Looking through the Troubleshooting guide:

https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led-matrix

make sure sound is off.

Switch off on-board sound (dtparam=audio=off in /boot/config.txt). External USB sound adapters work, and are much better quality anyway, so that is recommended if you happen to need sound. The on-board sound uses a timing circuit that the RGB-Matrix needs (it seems in some distributions, such as arch-linux, this is not enough and you need to explicitly blacklist the snd_bcm2835 module).

make sure 1-wire is turned off.

I have also seen reports that on some Pis, the one-wire protocol is enabled (w1-gpio). This will also not work (disable by removing dtoverlay=w1-gpio in /boot/config.txt; or using raspi-config, Interface Options -> 1-Wire)

Hey Mikey, I have tried all of that and it still hasn't change anything. I noticed as I was trying to remove the board while it still on that it was oscillating between the bars so I'm wondering if there's a loose connection but i could figure out where. I'm not quite sure what to do at this point in regards to this issue.

noobmaster69

by noobmaster69 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 11:26 am

I posted the same issue to the rpi-rgb library and the creator pointed out that the D address line is not showing up. I took my multimeter and what he said was true, there's no voltage coming out of that address line.

https://github.com/hzeller/rpi-rgb-led- ... issues/895

noobmaster69

by noobmaster69 on Sat Sep 21, 2019 1:46 pm

Trying to debug this issue with the D address line and the always on blue bars I’m now seeing this issue where the board is reacting to interference.

I’m now thinking the issue is the board entirely. Is there a way to get a replacement?

https://imgur.com/a/i4OSX9T

noobmaster69

by mikeysklar on Mon Sep 23, 2019 8:07 pm

@noobmaster69,

Thank you for the video demonstration of the interference you are seeing.

Could you put a multi-meter (conductivity test and resistance test) on the jumpered GPIO 4 <--> GPIO 8 pins. Looking at your original photos (first post) it just seems like that soldered connection is weak.

mikeysklar

by noobmaster69 on Tue Sep 24, 2019 8:37 pm

mikeysklar wrote:@noobmaster69,

Thank you for the video demonstration of the interference you are seeing.

Could you put a multi-meter (conductivity test and resistance test) on the jumpered GPIO 4 <--> GPIO 8 pins. Looking at your original photos (first post) it just seems like that soldered connection is weak.

There's not much going on there but I also switched it back to convenience mode thinking maybe something with the pins and even still with convenience mode nothing works.

noobmaster69

by mikeysklar on Wed Sep 25, 2019 11:44 am

Do you suspect the Bonnet is the source of the problem with the interferance?

mikeysklar

by noobmaster69 on Wed Sep 25, 2019 1:47 pm

mikeysklar wrote:Do you suspect the Bonnet is the source of the problem with the interferance?

At this point after the debugging we’ve done and conversing with the library creator it might be a defective bonnet.

noobmaster69

by noobmaster69 on Sat Sep 28, 2019 5:28 pm

mikeysklar wrote:Do you suspect the Bonnet is the source of the problem with the interferance?

Following up on this - is there any way to get a replacement?

noobmaster69

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.