📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 3 Day orders by 11am ET Friday December 13 📬❄️📦

Pixie 3W Led Flicker
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Pixie 3W Led Flicker

by tsshapiro on Mon Sep 30, 2019 6:04 pm

Hi, I have a 3W Pixie that I purchased on October 18, 2018. I am just getting around to using it now and experiencing flickering, even when using the example "strand test" Arduino sketch provided. I see some forum posts from inventor of this item that this issue has been fixed. Has it been fixed? If so, is it possible to get a replacement?
Thanks!

tsshapiro

Re: Pixie 3W Led Flicker

by moonryul on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:01 pm

tsshapiro wrote:Hi, I have a 3W Pixie that I purchased on October 18, 2018. I am just getting around to using it now and experiencing flickering, even when using the example "strand test" Arduino sketch provided. I see some forum posts from inventor of this item that this issue has been fixed. Has it been fixed? If so, is it possible to get a replacement?
Thanks!

Hi, I have bought 200 3W Pixies for my art work.
I followed the tutorials and understood the technical details of Pixie,
being a computer scientist with a fair amount of knowledge on electrical circuits.

I found out that in the case of a chain of 50 pixies, the later part of pixies flicker.
If I use a chain of 30 Pixies, no flickering.

I think this flickering problem has nothing to do with the flickering problem
that has been talked about in this forum.

I have no idea how to debug the problem, because I cannot think of any reasons
for this problem. Please help me start somewhere.

Sincerely
Moon R. Jung
Professor
Dept of Arts and Technology
Sogang Univ, Seoul, Korea

moonryul

by oesterle on Tue Nov 26, 2019 6:52 pm

Hi, moonryul!

Welcome to the Forums!

Can you post a sharp picture of your project wiring? 800x600 works well. Use File Upload to add an image to your post.

Also, can you post your source code? You can paste it in your reply, highlight it, then click the [ CODE ] button to format it nicely.

By the way, normally we like people to start a new topic with their questions, since everyone's setup is a little different, and we want to debug each in a separate thread.

Cheers,

Eric

oesterle

by tsshapiro on Tue Nov 26, 2019 7:11 pm

Hi Moon,
It seems to me that the flickering has to do with momentary overheating and the auto cut-off in the onboard circuit. But I can't be certain. I have not gotten any response to my post other than yours... so thank you!
Ted

tsshapiro

by lexdm3 on Mon Dec 02, 2019 1:11 pm

Hi Moon. A suggestion that may or may not solve your particular problem but is probably useful - I always run separate and thicker power and ground lines to subsections of displays (Pixies, DotStars, NeoPixels) rather than depend on the strip to pass power through. That seems to insure good and stable operation all along the string.

Even though the Pixie allows you to solder bigger wires between units, you are still passing a fair amount of current across each Pixie PCB. Running +5V and ground wires up the line should reduce load carrying and maybe heating on each PCB.

Obviously the data signals and ground need to go through the entire strip so the addressing works correctly.

I hope this helps.

lexdm3

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.