tft 1.8" with joystick etc
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

tft 1.8" with joystick etc

by Kurokaze on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:07 pm

I just received that small tft shield, have soldered the connectors and put it on top an arduino uno. I added the GFX- as well as the ST7735 library to my IDE and selected the shield test sketch into the editor, compiled and uploaded it. Nevertheless the screen stays black. I commented out all code in the loop() and for test used other colors instead of the original INITR_BLACKTAB. No changes. Serial monitor shows that the sketch is executed in the setup() routine.
I then tried restting the sketch and got totally confused: While pressing the reset button (on the shield, upper left corner), the display is showing proper color and a test text that I entered, only turned for 90 degrees! Releasing the button, does the reset , the screen goes black and then last test println of the sketch shows that the arduino completed setup().

I believe that I downloaded the proper libraries from github, but how could I verify this? Any conflicts with other libraries? I have put the libraries - just as it was documented - in then /myArduino/libraries/*** folder with the wanted folder names. A rename of the ST7735.h file name to hide it, immediately did produce errors in the compile. Renaming back stopped this complain.

What is going wrong here?

Kurokaze

Re: tft 1.8" with joystick etc

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:26 pm

You may be running the wrong example. Not too long ago, that board was update to a rev 2 that uses a seesaw chip for the digital IO. You most likely have that version of the shield. So make sure you also install the seesaw library and run the seesaw_shield18_test example sketch:
https://learn.adafruit.com/1-8-tft-disp ... the-shield

adafruit_support_carter

by Kurokaze on Thu Oct 10, 2019 12:49 pm

Oh, thank you so much. It is running like a charm. The docs for the tft seem a bit out-dated or I was too simple-minded just takeing the first links...

I will study the use of that library, and will hopefully soon find out how to rotate the display to landscape.

Thank you!

Kurokaze

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Oct 10, 2019 1:03 pm

Cool. Glad it's working.

I think the outdated info is being kept around for historical purposes - for those who have the older version, etc. Were you following this guide?
https://learn.adafruit.com/1-8-tft-disp ... the-shield
Maybe we need to tweak that guide so it's more obvious that there are multiple versions? Or something else? Let us know, we can update product pages if needed.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.