🎁📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 2 Day orders by 11am Monday, December 16 📦❄️📬🎁

Adafruit_SPIFlash.h won't compile on Arduino Nano 33 BLE
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

Re: Adafruit_SPIFlash.h won't compile on Arduino Nano 33 BLE

by chrissyblaze on Wed Nov 20, 2019 6:57 pm

I will give that a try.

I don't HAVE to use a Nano 33 BLE, but I am making a project in which I want to include:

5 color OLED 0.96" displays
Bluetooth Classic
and a Tilt sensor (IMU)

The Nano 33 BLE has both old and new Bluetooth plus a tilt sensor embedded, leaving lots of IO pins to connect up the screens. Each display takes two dedicated pins, and SPI takes another 4 pins, plus the SD reader takes another pin, so that's 15 IO pins to get the displays and SD working!

Then, an external Bluetooth takes at minimum 2 pins, and an IMU another 2 at least. So, 19 pins total, but the new Nano saves me 4 pins as the BT and IMU are internal.

I did try using an ItsyBitsy M0, but simply could not figure out how to get a second Serial object running on it. I need Serial0 for USB comm back to the Arduino IDE (running on IO pins 0 and 1, Rx and Tx), and a second Serial1 to connect a Bluetooth module, but the instructions I tried to follow in the Adafruit website for adding a 2nd Serial object just didn't work for me (I can't seem to locate the URL for the page with the instructions about creating extra Serial ports on the ItsyBitsy). I checked on the forums here and couldn't find an answer. If you wouldn't mind, I'd like to upload a sketch that attempts to set up two serial objects, but just doesn't seem to work. I just need help getting the second Serial working and then can go back to the ItsyBitsy. I have a Bluetooth module that connect fine to a smartphone and seems connected correctly to the ItsyBitsy M0, but just doesn't seem to send a receive any data.

Thanks much!

chrissyblaze

by adafruit2 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 7:06 pm

FYI, https://store.arduino.cc/usa/nano-33-ble does not contain bluetooth classic ("old" Bluetooth) - its BT LE only

adafruit2
Site Admin

by chrissyblaze on Wed Nov 20, 2019 9:50 pm

According to this page: https://www.arduino.cc/en/Reference/ArduinoBLE the Nano 33 BLE supports Bluetooth 4.0, which includes the "classic" mode, and obviously the newer BLE 5.0 spec.

I guess the only way to prove this actually works in "classic" mode is for me to test it. Will try to get results back tonight if I can.

chrissyblaze

by adafruit2 on Wed Nov 20, 2019 10:22 pm

i'm pretty sure that's a typo. the nrf52840 chip does not support classic
https://devzone.nordicsemi.com/f/nordic ... h-nrf52840

adafruit2
Site Admin

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.