🎁📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 2 Day orders by 11am Monday, December 16 📦❄️📬🎁

LED strip power injection
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

LED strip power injection

by zxarr on Tue Nov 19, 2019 4:18 pm

I'm wondering if there are better ways to inject power in the middle of an LED strip without just soldering onto the pads?

I am looking at making a continuous strip of NeoPixel LED strips (30 LED/m) with no visible gaps between LED's where they're joined; a total of 40 feet. I was hoping they'd invented a simple clip that could be attached in the middle of a strip, over the pads, to inject power. As I'm placing this all in a channel, it'd be better to clip a few places on the strip, rather than solder while atop a ladder.

Thanks.

zxarr

Re: LED strip power injection

by oesterle on Tue Nov 19, 2019 8:13 pm

Since you're looking at 12m+, I'd consider using a continuous run of power and ground cables, soldered to the strip every 1-2m. I don't know of an off-the-shelf clip system compatible with the garden-variety 3-conductor NeoPixel strips, but I'm sure someone makes one.

I've used silicone-insulated stranded copper wire for this. I'd estimate max current requirements, add some headroom, and select from available wire gauges accordingly. You're likely looking at a much larger gauge of wire than Adafruit sells.

Silicone-insulated wire, IMHO, is a great choice for this, since it's super flexible – it's not fighting your strip layout – and more heat resistant, which is important on larger LED projects.

I often refer to the excellent Adafruit NeoPixel Überguide for best practices on power and larger projects, especially these sections:

oesterle

Re: LED strip power injection

by zxarr on Wed Nov 20, 2019 4:57 pm

Thanks very much!

I'll have a good read through that.

zxarr

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.