🎁📬❄️📦Adafruit Holiday Shipping Deadlines 2019: Please place all UPS 2 Day orders by 11am Monday, December 16 📦❄️📬🎁

PiTFT Plus Assembled 320x240 No Power
Moderators: adafruit_support_bill, adafruit

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.

PiTFT Plus Assembled 320x240 No Power

by syazdan on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:34 pm

Hi there,

I bought the "Ad Blocking Kit for Pi-Hole with 2.8" PiTFT - No Soldering! - No Raspberry Pi Included" kit and everything is working except the screen (https://www.adafruit.com/product/2298).

What I've done:
[*] I've followed the guide on https://learn.adafruit.com/pi-hole-ad-pitft-tft-detection-display/pitft-configuration the result is no display.
(To clarify, the display does nothing, neither normal output or even a white blank screen, it's completely black and off)
[*] I've checked the connectors and everything seems to be fine.
[*] I've rerun the PiTFT installer script (adafruit-pitft.sh) multiple times, selecting the correct options for my screen.
[*] I've detached and reattached the screen to my Raspberry Pi 3 B multiple times.

Could this be a defective display? Can anyone help me?

Thanks so much for your time.
Last edited by syazdan on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:50 pm, edited 1 time in total.

syazdan

Re: PiTFT Plus Assembled 320x240 No Power

by syazdan on Tue Nov 19, 2019 5:49 pm

Just noticed as well,
I cannot use the command
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
sudo sh -c 'echo "1" > /sys/class/backlight/soc\:backlight/brightness'
to turn on the backlight.
I get this in return,
Code: Select all | TOGGLE FULL SIZE
sh: 1: cannot create /sys/class/backlight/soc:backlight/brightness: Directory nonexistent

I'm not sure if this is relevant at all, first time dealing with Pi's/PiTFT, just felt like it might indicate something that I can't do that?

syazdan

by adafruit_support_carter on Thu Nov 21, 2019 1:58 pm

[*] I've rerun the PiTFT installer script (adafruit-pitft.sh) multiple times, selecting the correct options for my screen.
What options did you select here? Note that the guide page is actually for a different TFT. We added a red alert box to that page:
https://learn.adafruit.com/pi-hole-ad-p ... figuration
to try and call attention to that.

This has tripped up others:
viewtopic.php?f=50&t=157853#p779992

adafruit_support_carter

by syazdan on Fri Nov 22, 2019 11:13 am

Hi there,
Thanks for taking the time to reply to my issue.

During my setup, I originally incorrectly followed the guide without identifying my screen. After the screen would not display or 'power', I went back to the guide and concluded the same as you. I reran the script and chose the correct option for my screen, which is a PiTFT 2'8 320x240 Resistive Touch.
The other options all followed as usual (rotation and text console).
Still, the screen is off with no display. I looked at the link you shared with me and the difference between that case and mine is that his screen was actually displaying something, just incorrectly, whereas mine is displaying nothing.

Is it possible that the latest version of Raspbian Lite is not compatible for one reason or another? Should I try to use the version from 2018 used in the article?
Lastly, if that also does not work, is it possible that the screen is defective? If so, how would I go about resolving this?

Thanks again for your help, much appreciated.

syazdan

by adafruit_support_carter on Sat Nov 23, 2019 1:26 pm

Let's check for any obvious hardware issue. Can you please post photos showing each side of the TFT board.

adafruit_support_carter

Please be positive and constructive with your questions and comments.